The Way Things Were (Marshall Traver) - Part 2

hi hello no one asked for this

~

"I did not let you win!" Marshall insisted, walking you up the stairs to your apartment.

"Marshall, when have I ever beaten you at bowling?" you laughed.

"Fine," he huffed, "I let you win."

"You can't try to convince me I won on my own when both of us know how bad I am at it," you teased, pulling out your key and unlocking your door.

"Y/N," Marshall said, making you look at him. His hand was on the back of his neck and he was rubbing it nervously. "Can I..." he trailed off, but you knew what he was wanting to ask.

"I don't kiss on the first date," you shook your head, "You know that."

"But you kissed me when I asked you out!" he pouted.

"I wasn't really given much of a choice," you reminded him. His pout only became more prominent, making you laugh again. "We're starting over, remember?" you murmured, moving one of your hands to his cheek.

"I know," he sighed, "Can I at least hug you?"

You smiled at him, your hand sliding off of his face so you could wrap your arms around his neck. He held your waist tightly – the way he would when you were together the first time around and all he wanted to do was know you were there – and you felt him kiss your ear.

"I had fun tonight," he said softly, feeling you squeeze him a bit.

"Me too," you whispered, "Thanks for taking me out."

"Anytime," he chuckled, both of you letting go at the same time, "I'll call you."

"When you get home?" you wondered.

"Yes, I will let you know I got there safe," he grinned. You mirrored the gesture, leaning in and pressing your lips to his cheekbone.

"Bye, Marshall," you murmured into his skin. Once you pulled away, he put his hand on your jaw and brought you back to him so he could kiss your forehead.

"Bye, Y/N," he returned, and you then watched him head back to the stairwell so he could head home before going into your own.

~

Three months later

You and Marshall had been dating for a couple months now and you could honestly say you were happier than you'd been in a while. Despite already knowing everything about each other, there was this sense of something new in the relationship that wasn't there before. You didn't have the slightest clue as to what that something was, but it was definitely a refreshing feeling nonetheless.

You were over at your sister's house one afternoon, lazily lounging around. You'd been spending time with her and her six-month-old baby, but since she was now down for a nap, the two of you were just watching television in the living room. There wasn't much conversation happening – you both were pretty into the show you were watching – but when it went to commercial, your sister decided something was bothering her.

"Hey, Y/N," Sierra said, making you look over at her, "You okay?"

"Yes..." you trailed off, the confusion in your voice incredibly obvious.

"Hmm," she hummed, shrugging to herself, "Something about you seems a bit off lately."

"What do you mean?"