Because I Knew You (Marshall Traver)

i know nick's not the host anymore but i started writing this when he was and damn it i'm gonna finish it with him

~

Your microphone was gripped tightly in your hands as you walked onto the America's Got Talent stage. This was your first time singing in front of this many people and you honestly felt like you were going to throw up. Despite the feeling though, you decided to audition for the show anyway, not wanting to be held back by your stage fright for the rest of your life.

The audience cheered as you walked out, making you smile to yourself as you stopped on the large, red 'X' in the middle of the stage. The judges smiled at you, clearly taking note of how they could see you visibly shaking, and waited for the crowd's cheers to die down before greeting you.

"Hello!" Heidi chirped, "What is your name? Where are you from?"

"My name is Y/N Y/L/N and I'm from (city, state)," you answered softly.

"And who have you brought with you today, Y/N?" Simon asked.

"No one," you smiled shyly.

"Does anyone know you're here?" Mel tilted her head curiously.

"No..."

"Why not?!" she exclaimed in surprise.

"I figured if no one knew I was coming, I wouldn't have to tell them if I did badly," you laughed nervously, making her smile sadly.

"What will you be doing for us today?" Howie asked you.

"Singing."

"And what will you be singing?"

"For Good from the musical Wicked," you swallowed.

"You don't seem very confident in yourself," Simon said monotonously, "And you decided to pick such a demanding song?"

"Y-Yes, sir," you said.

"Don't listen to him," Heidi insisted, shoving Simon's arm, "You start whenever you're ready." You swallowed again, nodding lightly, your hands still physically shaking as you nodded for the person off to the side to start the track.

I've heard it said that people come into our lives
For a reason, bringing something we must learn
And we are led to those who help us most to grow
If we let them, and we help them in return

~

Marshall's POV; 3 minutes earlier

Marshall practically broke through the door to the venue, looking around for the first person who looked like they worked for the show he could find. He didn't have to search very hard, however, because as he was about to go into the door to the concert hall, he was stopped.

"Sir, you can't go in there!" the man said quickly, holding his arm out before Marshall could open the door.

"Listen, buddy," he grumbled, annoyed that he was stopped, "My girlfriend is onstage right now and I am going to go watch her perform."

"You know the girl onstage?" he asked with wide eyes, obviously having heard no one supposedly knew you were even there.

"I just said that!" he sighed exasperatedly.

The man looked at him for a moment before looking behind Marshall. He waved for someone to come over, telling them to stand in for him for a moment. When the girl nodded in confirmation, the man looked back at Marshall.

"Follow me," he said, quickly leading your boyfriend toward the door that would take them backstage. "Nick!" he said lowly as he approached, waving for him to come over. They were stood out of view so even if you had looked over at some point, you wouldn't have seen anybody.

"What's up, man?" Nick asked, glancing curiously at Marshall.

"This is the girl on stage's boyfriend," he said. Nick was speechless for a moment before nodding, causing the man to leave the two alone.

"So you're Y/N's boyfriend?" Nick questioned.

"Yes, sir," Marshall breathed heavily from running.

"Did she really not tell anyone she was doing this?"

"No, sir. I got a text from someone earlier saying they thought they saw her here," he explained, "And they sent a photo and I knew it was her, so I got here as quick as I could."

"Why do you think she didn't tell you?"

"She's afraid of failing," he replied solemnly, "I think she thought that if she told people and she didn't make it, they'd be disappointed in her."

"Well, how about we come over here and have a listen because these people definitely aren't," Nick said, ushering Marshall to the side of the stage.

Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today because I knew you

Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes the sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you, I have been changed for good

Marshall smiled slightly – Wicked had always been one of your favorite musicals and he would always sing that song to you, so he knew you were thinking about him as you sang.

And just to clear the air, I ask forgiveness
For the things I've done you blame me for
But then I guess we know there's blame to share
And none of it seems to matter anymore

Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes the sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
I do believe I have been changed for the better

And because I knew you, because I knew you
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good

The moment you stopped singing, people were on their feet, clapping wildly – even the judges. You smiled slightly, hardly able to believe that they liked your performance that much.

You noticed the judges' eyes widen and their smiles get bigger as you saw someone moving out of the corner of your eye, worrying you all over again. But when you looked over as Nick and your boyfriend rushed down the stairs on the stage, you were both shocked and confused – how did Marshall know you were there?

But when they jumped up to the judge's table, not wasting a second in hitting the golden buzzer together, how he was there didn't matter anymore.

You couldn't help but scream, the whole room cheering even louder as you cried into your hands, your entire body shaking. Nick pushed Marshall toward the stage and he instantly ran back up the stairs, his arms wrapping around your waist and lifting you off the ground the moment he reached you. You moved your hands so you could wrap your arms around him as well, your face burying itself in his neck as you cried even harder.

"I'm so proud of you, princess," Marshall murmured into your ear, feeling you squeeze him tighter.

~

Song used: "For Good" by Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel from "Wicked"

inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IChJ6eO3k48