Out of the Woods (Maxx Danziger) - Part 2

Trigger warning: If the idea of kidnappings is triggering to you, please don't read this

~

Maxx took you to the house the boys had taken shelter in not far from the building where Jace was. The moment you walked through the door, they sighed in relief, happy to see you were still alive. They quickly got up to hug you, honestly taking you by surprise. Maxx assured you that none of them hated you for leaving the way you did, but you were sure they would have been a little upset about you coming back.

"So what's the plan?" Dan asked after Maxx explained to everyone that you thought you knew where Jace was. You furrowed your eyebrows at him, making the boys chuckle.

"Y/N, we're gonna help you get him back," Cody told you, "There's no way you're gonna be able to distract those guys and find your brother."

"Yeah," Zach agreed, "You're not the only one watching out for him anymore, you know. You don't have to carry the sole responsibility of keeping him safe. You have us now; We look out for each other."

You glanced at all of them and then down at the hands in your lap. You weren't really sure what to say, but the good thing about these boys was that you didn't need to; They knew you well enough to know you appreciated their help.

"How about we all get some sleep?" Cody suggested, "We'll come up with a plan tomorrow."

"But I-"

"Goodnight, Y/N," they cut you off in unison, smiling innocently at you. They all got up and went up the stairs while Maxx stayed with you.

"You can take the room I've been sleeping in," he said when the others were out of hearing range.

"I'll just sleep on the couch, Maxx," you murmured, "I'll be fine."

"Y/N, when's the last time you slept in a bed?" You began chewing on your cheek and he smiled. "That's what I thought," he nodded, "You're taking the bed." You sighed and let him take you upstairs, showing you where the bedroom was.

Upon realizing that the bed was a queen, you insisted that you didn't need the entire thing to yourself, telling Maxx he could sleep there too. He simply nodded – he was incredibly tired and didn't really feel like bickering about where he was going to sleep that night – so you both plopped onto the mattress and got comfortable. He told you goodnight and you did as well, then the both of you drifted off to sleep.

~

Four hours later

Maxx's eyes fluttered open as he woke up to you crying in your sleep. He turned on the lamp and looked over at you, finding your back facing him, your body shaking as you cried.

"No!" you exclaimed, "Give him back!" Maxx said your name, putting his hand on your bicep, but it didn't give him the reaction he was hoping for. "No, let go!" you sobbed. He shook you harder, not stopping until you gasped, shooting up into a sitting position.

Your breaths were heavy as you looked around the room, your heart pounding against your chest. Your eyes were watery and Maxx immediately pulled you back down, bringing you into his side.

Without hesitation, you cuddled up to him, letting out a quiet sigh of relief that it was all just a nightmare. His arms were wrapped securely around you, holding you tightly so you knew you were safe.

"How often do you have nightmares?" he asked, his voice muffled due to his lips being on your forehead.

"Since I left...?" you whispered, not really wanting to answer but knowing you had to, "Um... Every time I go to sleep..."

"Y/N-"

"You can't stop the nightmares, Maxx," you shook your head with a sigh, "No one can. They'll probably still be around even if we get Jace back."

"When," Maxx stated. You hummed, tilting your head to look at him. "When we get him back," he told you, his fingers lightly playing with the ends of your hair, "Because we're going to get him back tomorrow and he's going to come home with us and he's going to be fine."

"Home?" you swallowed, causing his arms to loosen when you propped yourself up on your forearm, "I don't know if you've noticed, Maxx, but there is no home anymore. None of us have stayed in one house for more than two weeks! That's not-"

Maxx cut you off again, but this time, it was because he grabbed the back of your head and brought your face down to his. You instantly lost your breath, completely not expecting him to kiss you. Your other hand moved to rest on the bed beside his shoulder so you could hold yourself up, gradually starting to kiss him back.

When you both needed to breathe again, he removed his hand from your hair and let you pull back. You sighed as your head fell onto the pillow right next to his, and he turned his body so he was facing you.

"You need to stop being so pessimistic all the time," he said simply, making you chuckle breathlessly.

"Can't help it," you mumbled.

"When I think of being at home, I don't think of a place, you know," he started, "I think of you and Jace and Cody and Dan and Zach... I think of all of us sleeping under the same roof of the house we've taken shelter in or the treehouse we've had to hide out in that night... I think of all of us eating whatever food we've found that day and waiting for someone-" Maxx teasingly poked your stomach, making you giggle. "-to finish because she insists eating too fast will make her too sick to keep moving..." You pouted and he smiled at you, bringing his hand up to your cheek. His thumb ran back and forth along your cheekbone as he went on. "It doesn't matter where we are or where we end up next," he told you, "You will always be my reason to keep going. You will always be the person I'm fighting for. You will always be where home is for me." You swallowed thickly at the confession, but you were unable to keep the smart-ass side of you quiet.

"So you've technically been homeless for the last month then?" you commented. He smiled widely, laughing under his breath.

"I guess I have," he nodded.

Maxx noticed you glance at his lips, making him pull you back to him. You let a breath out of your nose, pushing your lips onto his roughly. You felt him smile into the kiss, wrapping his arm around your back and putting his hand on your hip, coaxing you to scoot closer. You got as close as you could, sighing in content.

After stopping to breathe again, you grinned.

"How long have you wanted to do that exactly?" you asked. Maxx chuckled, his fingers drumming on your hip.

"Well, let's see," he replied, "When did we first meet?"

"That long ago?" you wondered out loud, "And what stopped you?"

"Oh, you know," he shrugged, "The total cliché that you wouldn't feel the same way and it would make you want to leave me and the boys." You smiled softly, pecking his lips.

"Thanks for taking care of Jace and I," you murmured, "And thank you for helping me get him back." Maxx squeezed you gently, pressing a kiss to your forehead.

"Anything for you, princess," he replied. You moved your head to his chest and you both laid there until you finally drifted back to sleep. Once Maxx heard your breathing even out, he turned off the lamp and fell asleep himself.

And for the first time in a long time, you didn't wake up from another nightmare.

~

hello all! i just wanted to say that i posted the first chapter of my calum fic last night and it would mean a lot if you checked it out and maybe added it to your library if you like it!