Almost Ordinary (Cody Carson) - Part 1

this is what happens when you finish an imagine at midnight and ask your twitter followers if they want to read a thing now or tomorrow

aka prince cody visits a new country where they've never had a "royal family" and is immediately taken off guard by people who are even the least bit snappy with him

~

It was another ordinary day.

Well... Almost another ordinary day.

Everybody was buzzing about the news that a foreign exchange student – some kid your age named Cody Carson – would be transferring there until the end of the school year. You didn't know much about him – all you knew was that he was the prince of some country on the other side of the world that you'd never heard of.

You walked into the building that day, hearing literally every single student you passed, chatting with their friends about how they 'couldn't believe a prince was at our school'.

But you simply ignored all of it and continued walking.

You dropped your backpack off at your locker before heading to the cafeteria to meet your best friend Sam at your usual table for breakfast. You both laughed and talked about what you did over the weekend – as if you hadn't come to school with her or spent most of that time together anyway since she was your neighbor, after all – and once the warning bell rang, you both hurried back to your lockers to get your things for your first period class.

You had just closed your locker door, ready to meet Sam again in your classroom, but you didn't even make it to the middle of the hallway.

The moment you turned around, you were met by a firm chest. You squeaked loudly, your books falling out of your grasp as you tumbled to the floor. You pushed your hair off of your face and looked at who had run into you, finding the boy your classmates had been talking about.

You didn't believe them when they said he looked like 'a total prince' – everyone obviously knew he was, but they hadn't expected him to dress like he was going to a royal ball or something – but looking at him now, you found they were right.

Truth be told, you were hoping to avoid him throughout his stay. You already had to deal with the popular kids in school thinking they were kings and queens – you really didn't want to deal with an actual royal too.

But, because this is how your life works, you weren't allowed that luxury.

"Aren't you going to apologize?" Cody huffed, straightening out his shirt. He hadn't fallen down – only been mildly inconvenienced by the run-in – but he was certainly acting like it was much bigger than it was.

"Why would I apologize?" you cocked an eyebrow, "You ran into me."

"Because I am a prince," he stated. You realized he wasn't going to even offer to help you up, so got back on your feet and dusted off your jeans.

"Okay?" you shook your head, "I'd ask if you wanted a fucking medal, but it looks like you've already got several." You didn't know what came over you, but you were snapping back at him in a way you'd never done before.

You were usually a pretty quiet student – never really got into anyone else's business and especially didn't cause trouble with anyone. But you'd had a rough enough day as is already and you didn't need Prince Cody making it worse.

"Excuse you!" he said, clearly surprised by your defiance, "You can't speak to a member of the royal family that way!"

"Well, those might be the rules in your country, but they don't mean shit here," you stated, "People weren't created solely to meet your every demand, so you might as well get used to it."

Cody's POV

Cody watched you as you picked your things up off the floor and walked away. He didn't know what it was – when people talked back to him at home, he immediately reprimanded them and sometimes even fired them on the spot – but you...

You were something else. There was this mysterious vibe about you that he couldn't seem to shake off.

And although it was clear to him that you wanted nothing to do with him, he was determined to have everything to do with you.

Your POV

"How much longer is that prince here?" you asked your best friend as you sat down next to her after entering your World History class.

"A few months," Sam replied with a small laugh, "Why? You meet him already?"

"I can't stand him," you grumbled, slouching in your chair.

"Good thing you're sitting then..." she trailed off.

You looked at her and when you noticed she was looking toward the door, you turned your head, following her gaze – just in time to see Cody walk into the room. You groaned softly, leaning back in your chair again and looking up at the ceiling.

"Why me?" you said out loud, "Was I not nice enough to my sisters growing up? Do I not pray as often as I should? Are you avenging all the ants I've accidentally stepped on throughout my life?"

"Stop it!" Sam whispered, slapping your arm as she giggled.

"Y/N," your teacher, Mr. Karzen, said, "Raise your hand."

"Do I have to?" you asked, not turning to look at him. You heard him chuckle, but his voice was stern.

"Yes, you have to," he told you. You whined under your breath, your hand going up in the air. "Take the seat next to her," he told Cody.

"Yeah, take it and go somewhere else," you mumbled, making Sam snort softly.

~

As the end of class was approaching, you breathed a sigh of relief. You'd felt Cody's eyes on you throughout practically the entire period and you were happy that it was almost over – assuming he wasn't in any of your other classes, of course...

"Alright, guys," Mr. Karzen wrapped up his lesson for the day, "I'm going to assign a project now." Everyone groaned, making him laugh as he went on. "It's not that hard, I promise," he shook his head, "Since our lesson today was about South America, I just want you all to pick a partner and prepare a short presentation about everything you research about your country that you find interesting or something you think other people would be surprised to find out. You have until Tuesday to finish your projects and this isn't something that can be put off until Monday to do in class, which means you'll have to get together over the weekend." You and Sam immediately looked at each other, but your teacher had other plans. "Y/N," he said as everyone else was finding partners, making your head snap forward to look at him, "I'd like you to work with Cody on this one."

"That's not exactly letting me pick my partner, Mr. K," you told him, feeling Sam slap your arm again. He tried to give you a stern expression, but he couldn't keep himself from smiling.

"You and Sam always work together," Mr. Karzen reminded you.

"Because we're neighbors and it's easier to meet up!" you said defensively.

"I'll make you a deal then..."

"Nothing good has ever come out of anyone saying things like that!" you whined.

"You and Sam can be partners," he offered, "But only if Cody works with you as well." You opened your mouth to protest, but he cut you off. "You can either work with him yourself or you can all work in a group," he said, "You two are my hardest working students."

"Remember when I was your favorite too?" you sighed, slouching in your seat once again.

"You still could be," he chuckled, heading back to his desk just before the bell rang.

You grumbled quietly as you ripped a sheet of paper from your notebook and wrote Sam's address down on it. You put it on Cody's desk and looked at him.

"Be at Sam's house by noon tomorrow or we're starting without you," you stated dryly, gathering your books and walking out of the classroom with Sam giggling beside you.

~

do i like this title??? yes. but not necessarily with this.