Unconventional (Cody Carson) - Part 1

05:11:06:35
05:11:06:34
05:11:06:33
05:11:06:32
05:11:06:31

Your heart was aching at knowing you were only five and a half days away from meeting your soulmate.

You had done the math nearly a month ago and realized that on the day your clock said you would meet them, you were also going to a Set It Off concert. You hoped that you would meet this mystery person at the show and not a fast food place so you at least knew you liked the same band.

This was a normal thing – the clock on your wrist constantly counting down. Everyone had them since before they were even born – since they were merely still growing inside their mother's womb. It was a soulmate clock, counting down the days until you would meet the person you were destined to fall in love and spend the rest of your life with. You had known the date you would meet your soulmate ever since you learned how to do math and you were always eagerly awaiting the date that was now only 5 days away.

You didn't know what to expect, and your friends were never really any help either. A couple of them had met their soulmates already, but the only advice they ever gave you was 'you'll just know' after vocalizing your concern about meeting two people at the same time. But how would they know that? They met their soulmates one-on-one.

You'd made the mistake once – after realizing you'd meet your soulmate at the concert – of suggesting that maybe yours would be in a band that was playing that night. Your friends immediately shut it down, insisting that no one ever got that lucky.

They said they were just looking out for you – that they didn't want you to get your hopes up when that wasn't what happened – but you were still heartbroken by it. They didn't have to agree, but they could have at least entertained the idea for your sake.

And maybe you were going in with the realization that your soulmate wasn't necessarily going to be who you wanted, but there was always that 'what if?' in the back of your mind.

~

Five days later

00:00:30:38
00:00:30:37
00:00:30:36
00:00:30:35
00:00:30:34

You had been sitting up against the concrete wall outside the venue for about 10 hours now. You were talking to the people in line around you, making new friends. You kept your clock hidden from them though, not wanting them to say what your friends had for the last few weeks.

After another half an hour, you had drunk about seven bottles of water that the venue staff had been bringing out every once in a while since it was pretty hot out that day. You were really starting to regret it though because your bladder was not having any of it anymore.

The next time the staff member came out, you asked him if you could go inside and use the bathroom. Upon hearing the desperation in your voice, he simply laughed and nodded. He told you where to go down the hallway, but you immediately found yourself lost.

00:00:00:15
00:00:00:14
00:00:00:13
00:00:00:12
00:00:00:11

You sighed to yourself as you continued walking, hoping to find another person you could ask for directions from.

But you'd never make it to anyone who worked there.

00:00:00:10
00:00:00:09
00:00:00:08
00:00:00:07
00:00:00:06

You decided to check your soulmate clock since you hadn't all day, wanting to see just how far away you were from meeting them.

The moment you pushed your bracelets down to see, your eyes widened.