Old Time's Sake (Calum Hood) - Part 1

this takes place six months after your best friend finds out you've been catfishing him

~

Every single moment you were awake, you were thinking about how bad of a person you were. There was never a time when you didn't feel physically ill because of the pain you put your best friend Calum through by pretending to be someone else. Though, in your defense, you always thought you'd just tell him it was you one day; you never expected him to call Catfish.

The episode aired four months after the crew's visit and you were no doubt national scum at that point. Calum – understandably – hadn't talked to you at all after they left.

In fact, none of his friends were speaking to you either. You thought at least one of them would understand – and maybe they did, but they still weren't acknowledging you anymore.

There were no words to describe how horrible you felt. Calum was your best friend – the one person you felt like you could go to with any problem you had and know that he wouldn't see you any differently. Of course, that obviously changed after he discovered you'd been lying to him.

But that wasn't to say it wasn't completely over.

It was a normal evening: you'd just gotten home from work and were trying to relax – though relaxing was a little more difficult these days with everything that was on your conscience – when you were suddenly startled by loud knocking on your apartment door. You furrowed your eyebrows a bit; All of your friends hated you and your parents always called when they were coming to visit, so you had no idea who it could be.

You cautiously approached the door, trying to look out the peephole but letting out a frustrated sigh when whoever was there was covering it so you couldn't see them. You unlocked your deadbolt as well as the lock on the doorknob, surprised by who you saw standing in front of you.

"C-Calum..." you whispered in almost exactly the same fashion he had a few months ago when you finally came clean about the secret you'd been keeping from him, "W-What are you doing here...?"

"You and I both know the answers you gave Nev and Max were bullshit, Y/N," he stated, "And I think you owe it to me to tell me the truth."

"Th-They weren't bullshit," you insisted, moving out of the way so he could come inside.

"Yes, they were, Y/N!" he exclaimed, "And if I don't get the answers I know you're keeping from me, you can consider this friendship over." Your heart skipped a beat.

You never wanted you and Calum to stop being friends – you knew it was a major possibility when you started pretending to be someone else, but hearing him actually say it made you feel sick to your stomach. You couldn't – and didn't want to – imagine your life without Calum in it.

But you fucked up – you royally fucked up – and you were sure he'd never forgive you for it.

"It's not already over?" you asked so quietly, he barely heard it.

"Y/N," he sighed as you both sat down on your couch – you at one end and him on the other, "Our eight years together isn't going to just go away. But if you don't tell me the truth... I can't keep being friends with someone I don't know if I can trust anymore." You looked down at your hands, doing everything you could to keep yourself from crying.

"You started talking to that Sierra girl you met at the mall," you murmured while he listened intently, "And you wouldn't stop talking about her and I... I got jealous... So I made that Facebook for some girl named McKenna to make you forget about her. But then you started talking about McKenna all the time... But I was a little more okay with it because I knew it was me... But when you started asking her to meet up with you, I-I panicked... I couldn't tell you it was me because you'd hate me, but I didn't want you to start seeing other girls again because it hurt too much. I never expected you to get so caught up in this girl that you'd call Catfish about her... I swear I never wanted you to get hurt, Cal, I was just... I was just being selfish. And I'm really sorry I did that to you." Calum was silent for a moment before asking the only thing he could make sense of.

"Why didn't you just tell me how you were feeling instead of making that profile?"

You let out a breathy chuckle, "When I figure out for myself, I'll let you know."

"You should have told me, Y/N," he mumbled.

"I know," your voice cracked as your eyes got watery, "But I knew it would have made things weird and I didn't want to lose you over something as stupid as my feelings... But I lost you anyway."

"Y/N-"

"But that's okay, I guess," you shrugged, wiping your face with the back of your hand, "Your type is smart girls and funny girls and girls who like the same music as you and girls who can cook-"

"Y/N," Calum said your name again, but you just kept talking.

"-and you like girls who look like models and girls who look as beautiful waking up as they do when they're dressed for a date and I know I'll never be any of those things. But that's okay, because as long as you're happy and you don't hate me, I'll be-"

"Y/N!" he finally said loudly, making you look over.

And as if your night couldn't get any more confusing, Calum's lips were suddenly on yours.

You let out a surprised breath, having not even realized that he'd been scooting closer to you during your rant. You didn't really understand what was going on, but you knew that Calum was kissing you and you knew it took your breath away and you knew it was everything you ever imagined it being and you knew you were in love with your best friend.

You felt Calum smile when you finally got over the shock and started kissing him back, his hand sliding up your arm and coming to a stop on your cheek. His thumb ran along your cheekbone, making you sigh again – although no amount of soothing gestures was going to slow down your racing heart.

You finally had to pull away to breathe, your chest visibly rising and falling as you did. You watched Calum's eyes flutter open and he grinned slightly at you while he caught his breath as well.

"-completely okay with it," you whispered, finishing your sentence. Calum chuckled softly, resting his forehead on yours.

"I'm not happy about what you did," he told you, "But I guess I get it. I don't think I would have done the same thing, but I wouldn't have told you how I feel either. But I do love you, Y/N, and I forgive you."

"You do?" you choked, your eyes getting watery again.

"I do," he murmured, bringing his other hand up to wipe your tears, "I love you."

"I love you, Cal," you swallowed, breathing a small sigh of relief at knowing he didn't hate you – and your heart soaring at knowing he felt the same.

~

i hate this title but what else is new

also if u have any ideas for what could happen in possible future catfish aus, hmu fam!!!!!