The Element of Surprise (Ryan Follese)

this is as cliché as u think it's gonna be

my girl meghan's birthday today and she wanted me to write her a lil ryan blurb so i did and decided to post is here too

also go buy ryan's new song bc it's fucking fantastic and i love it

~

"Wait," you shook your head, your phone pressed to your ear, "You scheduled a show on my birthday?"

"Manager scheduled a show on your birthday," Ryan corrected you.

"Why didn't you try to-"

"Babe," he sighed, "Of course I tried to change it. But I didn't have a choice. It was either that or no show at all."

"And no show at all wasn't an option because...?"

"Look, I understand you're upset about this, but this is what I was given to work with and this is how it has to be, okay?" he said softly, "I'm sorry."

"It's fine, Ryan," you mumbled, "You're just doing your job."

"I'll see you when I come home, babe," he reminded you, "I love you."

"Love you too," you replied before hanging up the phone, now having to come up with an entirely new plan for your birthday.

~

Two weeks later

You woke up at around 11:30 on the morning of your birthday in a surprisingly good mood for the fact that your boyfriend wasn't there to celebrate it with you. You decided that you would spoil yourself – going to the mall and buying some new clothes and even considering getting your nails done.

Although you didn't completely know what you were doing today, you definitely knew that you needed to get something to eat. So you quickly texted a couple friends about going out to lunch, got out of bed, and went to your closet to get dressed. You put on your favorite outfit and went to brush your teeth, receiving replies to your group text when you came back out of the bathroom.

Sounds great! I'll come pick you up!

Where do you want to go? I'll meet you guys there!

You replied with your favorite restaurant and they immediately responded, letting you know they were on their way. You grinned happily – maybe this day wouldn't be so bad after all.

~

Two hours later, you and your two friends were at the mall. You had a couple bags in your hand already, both girls insisting that they buy you whatever you wanted. You hadn't gotten much – just a pair of shoes and a couple tops – but you hadn't found really anything else you wanted.

"So I heard there's gonna be a concert in town later," Lacey mentioned, "We should go."

"Yeah, I heard it's gonna be really good," Taylor nodded. They both looked at you and you simply shrugged.

"I'm down," you said. You then turned back to the window of the store you were in front of, missing the sly smirks on your friends' faces as they looked at each other.

~

Five hours later

You put on one of the new outfits you'd bought that day, looking at yourself in the mirror one last time before heading out to where your friends were waiting in your living room. You all then went outside and got into Taylor's car, driving to the venue the concert was going to be at.

The girls hadn't told you who was playing that night, but you were surprised to see that Taylor had turned into the entrance to the local park. You thought outdoor concerts were nice though, so you certainly weren't complaining.

What you were confused about, however, was the fact that there were no buses around the amphitheater that you could see, having you thinking it was a local band or musician. You were excited to listen to some new music though, following your two friends as they made their way closer and closer to the stage. After they walked past the seating area, you tilted your head.

"How close are we going, guys?" you wondered out loud, hearing a laugh off to the side.

"Right there's fine," a familiar voice said, making your head snap over. Your eyes widened when you realized your boyfriend was smiling widely at you.

"Ryan!" you squeaked, running to him and jumping into his open arms, "You said you had a show tonight!"

"I do," he grinned, hugging you tightly. You released your grip on him just enough so that you could move back and push your lips onto his. You felt him smile into the kiss and squeeze you harder just before you pulled away.

"Why didn't you tell me your show was here?!" you laughed, slapping his chest playfully.

"Now where's the element of surprise in that?" he smirked, making you roll your eyes.

But your lips found his again as you mumbled, "You're such a dick."

"I love you too," he chuckled, his voice muffled by your mouth, bringing your body back to his.