Temporary Home (Cody Carson) - Part 2

part 1 summary: you adopt a kid. that's literally it.

~

Six months later

You were in the kitchen making macaroni and cheese for Gracie for lunch one day while she was with her teddy bear in the living room watching The Princess and the Frog. She was quiet for the most part – you could hear her singing along to the songs every time one came on – so when you heard her voice halfway through the film, it surprised you a bit.

"Mommy..." you heard Gracie trail off, a worried tone in her voice.

You instantly took the pot off of the stove, not caring that noodles weren't quite done because it was better than burning them. You hurried to where your daughter's voice was coming from, finding her hiding in the hallway.

"What's wrong, Gracie?" you asked.

She pointed to the door and you saw a woman standing on the other side of the glass. You moved into the hall as well – out of the sight of the woman – and knelt down to your daughter's level.

"Why are you hiding from her?"

"I looked out the window when she knocked and she sawed me and said that she was my mommy but I knowed that you were already here," she said softly.

You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion for a moment before your eyes widened, knowing exactly who was standing on your porch. You pulled your phone out of your pocket and went to Cody's contact, bringing it up.

"I want you to go into my room and tell Daddy what you told me, okay?" you said, "Don't come out until I come get you." She nodded quickly and you hit the call button, giving Gracie the phone and watching her run upstairs.

Gracie's POV

Gracie launched herself onto the bed just as Cody answered the phone.

"Hey, baby," he said, understandably believing it was you.

"Daddy," Gracie said softly, surprising him a bit.

"Oh, hi, princess," he corrected himself, "Is everything okay?"

"N-No," she started tearing up.

"What's wrong? Why are you crying? Where's Mommy?"

"A l-lady came over and said sh-she was my mommy," she sobbed, wiping her face with the back of her hand, "And M-Mommy said to come in your room and talk to you."

"Is Mommy talking to the lady right now?"

"Uh-huh. W-What if she hurts Mommy and comes in and takes me?" she started crying harder, "I don't wanna go with her; I wanna stay with you."

"Princess, you know Mommy's not gonna let that happen," Cody assured her, "Listen, I'm on my way home and I'll see you in a few minutes, okay? I love you, princess."

"I love you too, Daddy," she replied. Gracie then heard the door handle jiggle, making her jump. But when she heard your voice, she instantly knew everything was alright.

Your POV; 5 minutes earlier

You waited until you heard the bedroom door close before you rose back to your feet. You took a couple deep breaths, but your heart was still racing as you walked out from behind the corner and to the door. The woman was still standing there, and when she saw you, her neutral expression turned into a glare.

"Hello," you said politely after pulling the door open, "May I help you?"

"You have something of mine," she stated dryly.