Everything Has Changed (Marshall Traver)

It was unfair, honestly – listening to your best friend blabber on and on about this girl he'd met recently.

You'd known Marshall for nearly 15 years now, having met him in elementary school. The two of you instantly became best friends and had been inseparable ever since you scraped your knee on the playground and he insisted he kiss it because 'that's what my mommy does and it always makes it better'.

Growing up, he tended to shy away from girls he was interested in – instead going to you to tell you how cute he thought they were. As the years passed by, you were happy for him that he was becoming more confident, but you knew you were jealous. You could just never bring yourself to admit it.

It was one such afternoon – another Saturday with Marshall hanging out in his apartment. He'd had a date with a girl named Jess he met at a concert a couple weeks ago – their third date, in fact – the previous night and he was going on and on about her.

You were pretty sure you were going insane – listening to the boy you were in love with be interested in someone else was really taking its toll on you. But you sucked it up; He was happy and that was all that mattered to you.

"You wanna go to the park or something later?" Marshall asked you suddenly, surprising you due to the question's lack of Jess mentions, "I heard it's supposed to snow tonight and I know how much you love being in the park when it snows."

"I can't tonight..." you trailed off.

"Why not?" he frowned.

"I have a date." The boy beside you visibly lost his breath, his heart skipping a beat.

"A-A date, huh?" he cleared his throat, "With who?"

"Cody," you said softly.

"Cody?" he asked, sitting up straight and looking at you at the mention of your mutual best friend, "Since when do you like Cody?"

"I've always liked Cody," you insisted, rolling your eyes, "I've just decided to see if I like him as something more than friends."

"Why now all of a sudden? You've known him for as long as I have!"

"What is up with you?" you furrowed your eyebrows, "I've been single for too long. You should be happy I'm finally putting myself out there."

"But with Cody?" he scrunched his face up.

"What's wrong with Cody?"

"I just don't think he's the right fit for you," Marshall shrugged.

"Well, I don't think that's your decision to make," you stated, getting up, "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a date to get ready for. I'll see you later, Mar." You grabbed your coat, slipping it on as you walked out the door, leaving Marshall to wonder why you'd be going out with someone he knew you weren't interested in while you quickly sent Cody a text.

If Marshall asks, we're going on a date tonight

~

Later that night

"So," Cody chirped, walking along the edge of the snow-covered road in the park with you, "What was that text about earlier?"

"Um..." you said with a high-pitched sigh, making him chuckle, "I might have told Marshall that this was a date so I could get out of listening to him talk about Jess again..."

"How did telling him about our 'date' go then?" You snorted softly, making him laugh.

"Could have been worse, I guess," you stated.