Nurse in Training (Michael Clifford)

it's much cuter than the title i promise

~

On a regular day off of school, most of the popular kids could be found at the mall or a local restaurant or getting ready for another big house party they were throwing that weekend. None of them would ever be seen without at least five other popular kids with them – sometimes ten depending on the person.

But one member of the popular clique stood out.

Michael Clifford was the star of the soccer team and one of the smartest students at the school. Everyone knew who he was and everyone wanted to either be him or be with him. Teen movies were always pretty cliché about the life of a popular kid, but they had you feeling like they'd contacted Michael directly to find out what his life was like so they could replicate it perfectly in every film.

You, on the other hand, weren't so lucky.

Teen movies usually depict the less popular – the nobodies – as constantly being pushed into walls and stuffed into lockers and suspended from flagpoles by their underwear. But that thankfully wasn't the case for you. For you, your high school life was about as mundane as it gets.

Of course, that wasn't to say you never had any run-ins with bullies.

Michael's POV; Friday evening

A Friday off of school for Michael usually looked like the inside of a hospital – not without reason, obviously. Michael was taking classes that would help him become a registered nurse and prepare him for medical school after graduation, and one of the courses offered actual work experience in the field. He interned at the local hospital down the road from the school and one look at him when he was with patients was enough to prove that he really was perfect for the career.

"Michael!" a voice caught the blonde's attention. Michael looked over his shoulder – he'd been sweeping the floors since there wasn't really much else to do – and watched Dr. Helm walking up to him. "I have a patient for you in Room 159," he said, "This one's pretty standard, so I'm just gonna let you handle it on your own since I have more critical patients to visit. But if you need anything, Sherri will be right out here, so just holler for her." Michael nodded lightly and watched the Doctor walk away before disappearing around the corner.

Michael took a deep breath as he stood outside the door. Although he was nervous for his first completely solo patient, he was excited at knowing the staff trusted him enough to do it on his own – even if it was 'pretty standard'.

But before backing out from nervousness completely, Michael knocked on the door and entered the room, surprised by what he found.

Your POV

Your head snapped up when the door opened, your eyes widening slightly. Michael was in your English class so you obviously knew who he was, but you'd never really talked to him before. And you sure were glad you didn't have to be hooked up to a heart monitor because you could feel it beating a mile a minute as you looked at him.

"H-Hi, Michael," you whispered when he didn't say anything, feeling yourself wanting to crawl into a hole the longer the blonde stared at you.

"Y/N?" he furrowed his eyebrows. Your heart skipped a beat because you truthfully had no idea he even noticed you around school, let alone knew your name. "What happened to you?" he hurried over to the bed you were sitting on the edge of. He seemed so genuinely worried that it honestly confused you.

You didn't think your injuries were that bad – obviously, you knew they were bad enough to warrant a hospital visit – but you didn't understand why he was so concerned. You had a few small cuts around your eye as well as a pretty decent-sized gash spanning the length of your cheekbone. But you definitely didn't think he'd care enough to want to know what happened.