Chasing After You (Michael Clifford) - Part 6

"I am going to find who this belongs to," Michael stated firmly, standing up, "Even if I have to visit every household in this kingdom myself."

~

The next day, Michael woke up bright and early to begin scouring the kingdom for his runaway mystery girl. The kingdom made an announcement that every maiden in the kingdom try on the glass slipper you'd left behind – and though Michael knew he didn't need someone to try on a shoe to know when he found her, he went along with it.

But, after nearly 12 hours of searching, as Michael approached the final house – your house – he was starting to think this whole thing was hopeless. Maybe his princess didn't live in the kingdom, maybe she wasn't home at the time he went there, maybe she just didn't want to see him again...

But he had to know. He could deal with a refusal to be with him, but he couldn't handle not knowing why.

The Captain of the guard approached the front door of your home, knocking and stepping back as he waited for it to be opened. Clara smiled as she revealed herself, obviously already knowing why they were there – and she'd made sure to lock you in your room, of course, so you didn't even have a chance at being who the Prince was looking for.

"Hello," she curtsied, "Please, come in." She moved out of the way as she ushered for him to come inside. "Kathryn! Abigail!" she called over her shoulder, "Come in here!" Your step-sisters gracefully entered the foyer.

"Yes, Mother?" Kathryn smiled.

"Girls," Clara said, "This gentleman is from the royal palace. He would like to have a word with you."

"Of course, Mother," Abigail said as she and Kathryn curtsied to him.

The Captain came into the house and your step-mother led him and the girls to the living room. Your step-sisters both sat on the ottoman – the Captain kneeling down in front of Kathryn first. She tried desperately to force her foot into the shoe, but it just wouldn't happen.

"It fits! I swear it!" Kathryn insisted.

"Oh, give it up, Kathryn," Abigail rolled her eyes, shoving her sister onto the floor and scooting over with a smile.

The Captain let out a small breath as she tried the same thing – trying to push her foot into the shoe to no avail.

"Are you sure it hasn't shrunk?" she asked through gritted teeth.

"I'm sure," the Captain replied monotonously, taking the shoe back and returning to his feet. "I'm terribly sorry for any inconvenience, Madam," he told Clara, "We will be off now." She nodded, leading him back to the front door and opening it so he could leave.

Your POV

Having no idea what was going on downstairs – you had only woken up to Clara locking the attic door, and given no reason why she did it – you sighed as you looked out the window. You sat there for a moment before you started humming to yourself.

You didn't quite know how the song was stuck in your head seeing as you only heard it once, but you couldn't help but get up from the window seat, somehow remembering every single word.

"I'll take what you got, got, got. I know it's not a lot, lot, lot. 'Cause I just need another hit. You're the thing that I can't quit," you sang to yourself as you danced around the attic, recounting the same dance you had with the Prince as he sang the words to you, "You got what I want, want, want, here and then you're gone, gone, gone. If you told me that we were through, you know that I would break the truth."