Almost Ordinary (Cody Carson) - Part 4

The next day; After school

"Can you even believe her?" you heard someone say as you putting your things in your backpack to go home, "I mean, who does that nobody think she is trying to act like Cody would fall for someone like her?"

And your heart immediately stopped.

Sam had told you that Cody and Jasmine saw you watching them and you knew that Jasmine must have gone whining to her friends about it, which obviously finally spread throughout the rest of the school. You knew things were only going to get worse now – you knew everyone was going to turn on you if they thought that you were trying to steal someone away from Jasmine Richardson.

All you wanted to do at this point was get to your car as quickly and safely as possible. You didn't want anyone stopping you to ask questions and you didn't want the people talking about you around the corner to know you'd been listening.

But you should have learned by now that you were never that lucky.

You were almost done at your locker – almost two seconds away from freedom – when you heard a voice behind you.

"What's this I hear about you trying to get with Jasmine's new target?" some kid whose name you didn't even know said, "Did you really think no one was going to find out about such a pathetic girl's attempt at something like that? Must be humiliating knowing you don't have a chance with that prince though, huh?" he laughed dryly, "I mean, he's a prince, so of course you don't have a chance with him, but I still think it's hilarious that you thought you did. You're not good enough for any of the people in this school; What made you think you'd be good enough for someone like him?"

You knew he was purposely trying to get a reaction, so you didn't give him the satisfaction; All you did was shut your locker door, swing your backpack onto your shoulder, and walk away. To your relief, he didn't follow you – allowing you the one breath of fresh air in that he had better things to do – but you did hear someone hurry up behind you as you got outside.

You were about to step off the sidewalk to go to your car, but you never made it.

"Y/N!" Cody chirped as he ran after you, grabbing your elbow and turning you around. He was a little out of breath and he looked incredibly concerned. "I know I said I'd stop bothering you, but I-" You cut Cody off, swallowing the lump in your throat and managing to get your voice out without too much hint that all you wanted to do right now was cry.

"I-I'm sorry about all those things I said before," you whispered, "I shouldn't... I shouldn't have treated you like that – especially after you apologized."

"Thank you," he nodded, "And I forgive you.

You breathed out, nodding as well and turning to walk away. However, you were surprised to feel Cody grab your hand and turn you back around.

"Will you go to the dance with me?" he asked abruptly, making your eyes widen.

"B-But you're going with Jasmine Richardson..." your breathing hitched as he rubbed the back of your hand with his thumb.

"Am I?" he smiled slightly, "I don't remember saying yes to her."

"But... No one says no to her..."

"They do when they don't want to say yes," he said, "And I didn't."

"Why wouldn't you want to say yes?"

"Because I want to go with you." You instantly lost your breath, shocked to hear the words come out of his mouth.

You never expected that someone like Cody – a guy who was only 18-years-old and had been to more royal balls than you would ever go to in your lifetime – would want to go to some meaningless high school dance with you, but he did.