Things Never Sent (Ashton Irwin)

JUST REALIZED I'VE NEVER WRITTEN A NERD ASHTON AU SO HERE WE GO

loosely based on an imagine i've written before ("All of Me" for Michael in book one)

~

You peeked around the corner, finding only one boy standing at his locker. You took a deep breath – you'd been trying to work up the courage to ask Ashton Irwin to the school dance that was coming up, but you always chickened out at the last minute.

But not this time.

This time, you were determined not to back down.

Before you realized what you were doing, your legs were taking you down the hallway. There was a moment where you almost walked past him, but you stopped yourself, stopping once you were beside him.

"A-Ashton..." you stuttered, making the brunette jump.

Ashton was the school's nerd, and no one ever really approached him unless it was to make fun of him. And when he turned his head and saw you, his eyes widened slightly.

You were part of the popular crowd – you had been ever since middle school – so he was understandably shocked to see you standing there. You weren't one of the people who ever made fun of him, but you weren't someone who ever really initiated conversation either.

"Will... Will you go to the dance with me...?" you finally asked. Ashton looked at you quizzically for a moment, which obviously worried you.

Maybe he already had a date or maybe he was surprised that a popular girl was asking him or maybe he just didn't like you. But the question that left his mouth in response to yours only confused you even more.

"Di-Didn't you already ask me?" he wondered.

And for a brief second, you actually thought you'd already asked him; You thought you were so nervous that you actually blocked out the first time it happened. But you knew you didn't.

You'd been so scared to ask him ever since the announcement the previous Friday that tickets were almost sold out and you still hadn't asked Ashton to go with you yet. You'd been making yourself anxious all weekend, trying to come up with a way to ask him in which he hopefully wouldn't reject you, so you knew for a fact you hadn't accidentally mentioned it at any point.

"No..." you finally told him, "I... I've been trying to make myself ask you for a couple weeks now, but I hadn't actually done it yet..." He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, prompting you to continue. "W-Why did you think I did?" you asked.

"I found this in my locker the other day..." he trailed off, reaching into his backpack where he'd been keeping a folded up piece of paper. He handed it to you, allowing you to unfold it and read it for yourself.

The note – written by someone claiming to be you – asked Ashton to meet you in the middle of the dance floor at 7:30 on the night of the dance in typical teen movie fashion – but you had never been the one to write it or slip it into his locker at any point in the last week.

"I didn't write this..." you murmured.

"Y-You didn't?" he whispered, swallowing thickly.

As your eyes remained trained on the words in front of you, Ashton watched your eyes widen in realization. His confusion only heightened when you suddenly gripped the piece of paper tightly and spun around, stomping away from him.

Because what Ashton didn't know was that you recognized the handwriting.

He simply put the rest of his things away and hastily walked in the direction you'd gone – towards the cafeteria.