Dear Paper Boy (Ashton Irwin) - Part 1

listen i wrote a christmas imagine in april ok ask me if i give a fuck that ashton's birthday is over

~

Ashton's POV

Another day, another early morning for paper boy Ashton. It wasn't that Ashton particularly minded having to get up 5 o'clock every single morning – truth be told, he actually enjoyed his job – but everyone closest to him knew the real reasoning about why he remained in the same old routine every day.

You had moved into a small house on Ashton's paper route a few months ago – finally out in the world, living on your own after saving up for the last 5 years. He had met you a couple times before – mostly when you were rushing to leave for work because you'd accidentally slept through your alarm – but he couldn't deny that out of all the people he delivered newspapers to, you were by far the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen. Every time you would run out of your house at the same time Ashton came down the road, you would both take a moment to smile and wave to each other before you were hopping into your car and scurrying off to work.

And that was the extent of every interaction Ashton had with the girl who lived on his paper route.

~

A few months later, it was now July and it was finally Ashton's birthday. He hadn't expected much this year – maybe a handful of cards from a few friends and relatives – but other than that, he didn't ever really do much for his birthday; Aside from his paper route, of course.

Now, Ashton knew he'd never told you when his birthday was – the boy never even spoke a single word to you, for crying out loud – so when he peddled toward to your house and saw a balloon tied to your newspaper box, he was a bit confused. As he got closer though, it became more and more apparent to him what was going on.

He saw an envelope lying inside the box and glanced up at your house. All the lights in the front were off and your car was gone, so he knew you must have put it in either before you left for work or sometime last night. He replaced the envelope with a newspaper and then carefully peeled off the random sticker you'd put on to seal it shut.

Dear paper boy,

Happy birthday! I know you're probably confused as to how I know that, but long story short, a woman came into the store I work at and bought some party supplies (unless I wasn't supposed to say that... then you didn't hear it from me) and you know how cashiers make small talk? Well, I did that and ended up finding out you were her son and your birthday was today so here you are, reading this card (and I really hope I didn't ruin some sort of surprise party)

Oh, by the way, the balloon is for you, so feel free to take it and tie it to your handlebars or something. And thanks for delivering a paper to me every morning. You're the only reason I know what's going on in the world.

-The girl on your paper route

Ashton couldn't help but smile widely – lucky for you, he already knew his mother was throwing him a small party – and he thought it was incredibly sweet of you to leave him a card even though you two didn't know each other that well. He knew he had to say thank you somehow, and he had the perfect way to do it.

~

Your POV; Eight hours later

Upon coming home from work later that afternoon, you trudged to your newspaper box to get the paper. You'd had a pretty crappy day – constantly being yelled at by customers over the prices you had no control over was really draining – and all you wanted was to lay down on the couch with a mug of hot chocolate and read the paper.