Still Looking Up (Ashton Irwin)

"I think you might be more nervous than I am," your boyfriend teased as you both sat in the waiting area of the venue for his America's Got Talent audition, waiting for his name to be called. Your head was on his shoulder, your fingers tangled with his, squeezing his hand every now and again.

"I just want the judges to love you as much as I do," you murmured into his shirt.

"Don't think anyone could love me that much, princess," Ashton grinned, pressing a kiss to the top of your head.

"Ashton Irwin!" a producer called out.

Ashton stood up, bringing you with him. He gave you a kiss before he was whisked off to briefly chat with Nick Cannon while you followed another producer to a seat in the audience so you could have a camera on you.

It seemed like forever before Ashton walked out on stage, but when he did and the audience clapped, you felt your heart swell up. You were so proud of him for everything he'd accomplished since you met him, and you only hoped that he would be able to add a successful audition to that list as well.

"What's your name?" Simon asked once the clapping had died down.

"My name is Ashton Irwin," he grinned, "I'm 22-years-old, originally from Sydney, Australia, but I currently live in Los Angeles."

"What will you be doing for us today?" Howie asked.

"I will be singing," he answered.

"So how did you get into that? Have you always been a singer?"

"Definitely! My mum says it was very rare to ever hear me not singing around the house growing up," he giggled.

"And have you brought anyone with you?" Heidi asked him.

"My beautiful girlfriend and number one fan, Y/N," he beamed, motioning over to you. The judges looked over as you smiled at Ashton, rolling your eyes.

"What will you be singing for us?" Mel went on.

"I'll be singing I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz."

"Well then, the stage is yours!" Heidi chirped.

"Thank you," he grinned as he nodded.

Ashton headed around the keyboard that was set up for him, sitting down. He glanced at you, making you smile and give him a thumbs up. He smiled to himself as well before beginning the song.

When I look into your eyes
It's like watching the night sky
Or a beautiful sunrise
Well, there's so much they hold

Well, I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it
No, I won't give up

I don't wanna be someone who walks away so easily
I'm here to stay and make the difference that I can make
Our differences, they do a lot to teach us how to use
The tools and gifts we got, yeah, we got a lot at stake

And in the end, you're still my friend, at least we did intend
For us to work, we didn't break, we didn't burn
We had to learn how to bend without the world caving in
I had to learn what I've got, and what I'm not, and who I am

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up, I'm still looking up

Well, I won't give up on us
God knows I'm tough enough
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

At least half of the room was in tears by the time Ashton was finished, getting up from his seat so he could return back to hear what the judges had to say. He looked over at you, finding you wiping the tears from your cheeks.

When you noticed he was looking, you mouthed an 'I love you' to him, making him smile widely as he blew you a kiss.

You watched on from your seat in the crowd, anxiously awaiting the judges' opinions. The crowd finally quieted down so they could speak, Howie deciding to go first.

"You know what I love about you, Ashton?" he said, "You're clearly this very bright and bubbly and happy guy, but you're able to convey such emotion with your voice when you sing, and I think that's something that not a lot of people can do."

"I think you might be my favorite performer we've seen so far," Simon shrugged. Ashton breathed out with a smile on his face, happy to hear that he was Simon Cowell's favorite thus far.

"I think my favorite thing about you is that I noticed you kept looking over at your girlfriend and, to me, it truly felt like you weren't performing in front of everyone so much as you were imagining yourself singing to just her," Mel said, "I thought it was brilliant, honestly – an incredible performance. I definitely think you have a very good chance of making it all the way." Ashton thanked her breathlessly as the last judge took her turn to speak.

"I don't really know what to say that hasn't been said already," Heidi shook her head, "But you sing with a lot of emotion and that makes me super emotional. So you know what I'm gonna do for you, Ashton?"

You couldn't see Heidi's face, but you saw Ashton's eyes widen. Your hands covered your mouth as you stood up so you could see the table.

"I'm gonna do this," she smiled widely, right before excitedly pushing the golden buzzer. You instantly let out a loud scream, jumping up and down, and the people in the room were cheering all over again.

The world seemed to be in slow motion as confetti was flying all around Ashton as he took a few steps backwards, his legs finally giving way. He put his microphone down on the floor beside him and his hands came up to cover his face.

You went to go onstage but you stopped yourself, thinking you weren't supposed to. Howie must have noticed you freeze out of the corner of his eye, because he turned toward you with a beaming smile, motioning for you to keep going. You, of course, happily did so, bolting up the stairs.

Confetti was still falling as you reached your boyfriend, dropping to your knees right beside him. You hugged him with your head on the small of his back before he finally pushed himself up so you could hug each other properly. His arms wrapped around your waist tightly as he stood back up, bringing you with him. He lifted you off of your feet, hearing you giggle in his ear through your sobs.

"I'm s-so proud of y-you," you said softly, your fingers threading through the hair on the back of his head as you felt him hug you tighter.

"I love you," he murmured, kissing the skin where it met the neckline of your dress, "I love you so much."

~

song used: "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz