In An Instant (Ashton Irwin) - Part 4

someone requested part 4 and im v happy that at least one person likes this series but this part is so long and i am so sorry

Warnings: Death, mentions of blood

~

Your POV; 5:37am

"I hear you, I hear you," you said out loud to yourself, hurrying out of the bathroom so you could get your breakfast from the beeping microwave. "You're so impatient sometimes," you told the appliance.

You grabbed your plate of leftovers, taking the paper towel off of the top of them. You went to the trashcan and sighed, realizing you'd forgotten to take the already nearly overflowing bin to the dumpster before you went to work the previous morning.

"I'll be back," you told your food, placing it on the counter so you could take out the trash.

It was a trek and normal as every other time you'd done this – going down the stairs and outside, walking around the building to throw the trash into the dumpster around back.

"Why can't we have a back door?" you grumbled, making your way back, "Or maybe even a garbage chute? Or just throw it out the window and let someone else-"

You cut your rant short when you noticed something out of the corner of your eye. You tilted your head in confusion – why the hell was someone laying in the bushes?

You cautiously approached, unsure of what was going on, but as you got closer, you realized three things: 1) it was definitely not someone who dropped something and was now looking for it, 2) it was definitely not normal for someone's leg to be bent in the way this one was, and 3) there was definitely a person crouched in the bushes beside it.

So you immediately panicked, quickly reverting back toward the building so you could race to your landlord and call the police.

~

Ashton's POV; Two hours later

The NCIS team had been called the moment police discovered it was the body of a Navy captain. And, of course, when they realized where the body had been found and who discovered it, they threw their days off out the window and came over to your apartment complex as fast as they could.

"Chris," Ashton said as all the men got out of their cars, "I want you getting the body to autopsy as soon as possible, Michael: take photos of every single inch of this crime scene, Calum: interview every person who could have seen something, Luke: help Chris and do whatever he tells you to do." He then immediately jogged into the building, looking for you.

"So do our jobs, basically?" Michael said, making the other men chuckle as they all got to work.

The moment Ashton entered the lobby and saw you talking to police, he breathed a sigh of relief. He knew you were alright, but he couldn't imagine how you felt right now being the person who actually found the body.

"Y/N," he said as he walked over, making your head snap up. He could see that your eyes were bloodshot from crying and your hair was a mess from playing with it the way you always did when you were upset or stressed or scared.

You jumped up from your seat when he reached you, wrapping your arms tightly around his waist. One arm wrapped around you while his other hand went to the back of your head.

"You're fine – I'm here now," he murmured into your ear. He felt you let out a relieved breath, your arms squeezing him tighter. "This is nothing you can't handle, you know," he told you, "You see crime scene photos of this stuff every single day."