Chasing After You (Michael Clifford) - Part 1

WELCOME TO MICHAEL AU WEEK: CINDERELLA EDITION!!!!! *space jam theme intensifies*

this series is based on the 2015 remake of Cinderella!!!!!!!! i hope you all like it as much as i do!!!!!

~

If someone had told you five years ago that you'd be living the life you are now, you probably would have laughed and told them they were crazy. You had a nice home, you lived in a nice kingdom, and you had the most loving parents anyone could have ever asked for.

However, that all changed when your mother got sick.

She had become suddenly weak one night after she and your dad had tucked you into bed. A doctor was called early the next morning, but his diagnosis wasn't what your parents were hoping to hear. He gave your mother only six months to live, and in those six months, she spent as much time with you as she possibly could.

She taught you everything you held so dear to you today – treat everyone with kindness, don't be afraid to stand up for what's right, and never stop dreaming.

But hey, two out of three ain't bad.

Your dad remarried six years after your mother's death – surprisingly due to your persuasion. You could see how much he loved your step-mother – despite her many...many...questionable qualities – and all you wanted was for him to be happy.

Clara was nice enough – she treated you the same as she treated your two step-sisters – although she would let a few passive-aggressive comments about you slip here and there. You dealt with it though – if your father was happy, that was all you cared about.

But, because this was your life, you didn't get the 'happily ever after' you were hoping for.

Your father went away a lot for work, always coming back a few weeks later with stories of his trip and gifts for you and your step-family. But one day, he didn't come back. He was supposed to return on Thursday, but that day had come and gone with no sign of him.

It wasn't until Friday evening that you heard a knock on the door. You immediately jumped up from the living room couch to answer it, disappointed at not seeing your dad, but smiling at the man who had accompanied him on the trip.

"Hello, Randall!" you chirped. He didn't smile back, and that was when you knew something was off. "Randall..." your smile faltered, "Is everything okay? Where's my father?" By this point, Clara, Kathryn, and Abigail had gathered behind you, curious as to what was going on.

"I'm so sorry, Y/N..." Randall swallowed, "Your father... He got sick while we were on the road..." You felt your chest tighten and your throat close up, making it hard to breathe. "He didn't make it..."

"What about my dress?!" Abigail stomped her foot.

"And my pearl necklace?!" Kathryn screeched, both of them upset your father wouldn't be bringing the gifts he'd promised to return with. They both angrily left the room, your step-mother following, as you just stared at Randall in shock.

"Thank you, Randall," you whispered brokenly. You tried not to get upset at your step-sisters for only being concerned about their gifts, giving them the benefit of the doubt and hoping this was just the way they were choosing to cope right now.

"He wanted me to give you this," Randall said softly, holding out a rose to you, "He insisted we stop to get it off the side of the road, saying it reminded him of you and he knew you'd love it." Your smile came back – if only a little – as you took it from him.

"I do love it, Randall," you nodded slightly, "Thank you."

"I'm sorry, Y/N... I wish I could have-"