Coffeeshop Soundtrack (Luke Hemmings) - Part 2

and a happy new year ;)

~

One year later

It was just another day; You were on break, sitting with Luke at the counter of the coffee shop. He usually came in to spend your lunch break with you even though he knew he was going to see you when you came back home that evening.

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary – you and Luke were minding your own business, signing to each other as you ate your lunch. That was, until you noticed something out of the corner of your eye.

You could see a group of three girls making fun of you and Luke. While you never caught them looking directly at you, it was very obvious they were making fun of you because they over-exaggerated their copying Luke's signing. You remained engaged in conversation with your boyfriend, however, not wanting him to know what the group was doing.

"I'll let you get back to work, princess," Luke signed to you, picking up his coffee cup, "I'll see you when you get home." You nodded and he kissed your cheek, leaving the store.

You went back to the counter, putting on your apron. Once the group realized you were back, they went to order their drinks.

"What can I get for you?" you signed to them. They raised the eyebrows, looking at each other in confusion before turning back to you. "Oh, I'm sorry," you smiled sarcastically, "Did you not understand that?"

"No..." one of them replied.

"So it would be silly of me to assume that you understand sign language since you aren't deaf, right?" you asked rhetorically, "Kind of like how it would be silly of you to assume that the deaf blonde you were just making fun of would be able to understand what someone was saying unless they were signing to him?" The girls then had the nerve to get mad at you for talking back, glaring at you.

"Is there anyone with better customer service working today?" one of them snarled.

"Yes," you answered, "But we don't serve such rude and disrespectful people here, so you might as well just go ahead and leave."

"Well, we want to talk to your manager," another spat.

"I mean, fine by me, but he's just going to tell you the same damn thing I did," you laughed dryly because calling over your shoulder, "Daniel!"

"What's up?" he asked, coming out from the kitchen. You didn't say anything – you just motioned to the girls in front of the counter. "Is something wrong?" he asked them.

"Yes," the girl who demanded to see him huffed, "This employee is being incredibly rude to us and refuses to take our orders." You snorted softly as Daniel looked at you.

"Why's that?"

"I don't appreciate people being blatantly disrespectful about my boyfriend's deafness," you replied monotonously.

"Is that what you were doing?" Daniel asked the girls. They remained silent, giving him the answer he needed. "Well, I'm going to have to ask you to leave then," he said. Their eyes widened.

"Excuse me?" one of the girls said.

"We do not tolerate that kind of behavior in this store," he said – just like you told them he would, "So you can take your business and attitudes somewhere else." He didn't even given them a chance to respond before turning around and going back into the kitchen. You smiled sweetly at the three girls as they let out sharp breaths and headed for the door.