Breakdown (Cody Carson) - Part 1

requested by alycia 💙💙

~

You were driving home after visiting one of your friends in a nearby town when you saw a car's hazard lights flashing up ahead. It was nearing 5am when your headlights illuminated the boy sitting on the ground against the driver's side door.

When he saw your headlights out of the corner of his eye, he immediately jumped up and began waving for you to pull over.

You thought about leaving him there – picking up a stranger in the middle of the night was something your parents always warned you not to do – but you knew you would have felt guilty if you didn't. There were no other cars on the road at this time and you knew he must have been waiting for at least an hour or two. You looked at him up and down and he didn't look like a threat, so you decided to stop and help him.

When you pulled off to the side behind his car you could visibly see him let out a huge sigh of relief.

"Are you okay?" you asked after rolling down your window and leaning out slightly, not wanting to get out of the car just in case. The boy could sense your caution, so he stayed where he was, not wanting to scare you off.

"My car broke down," he sighed, "And I was going to call my friend, but my phone is dead."

"You are just not having a good night, are you?"

He laughed, "No, it's the best." You looked at him for a moment before nodding your head toward your passenger seat.

"Come on," you told him, "I've got a charger you can use."

"Really?" he seemed surprised.

You nodded and he hurried over to the door while you were getting your charger out of your glove box. He sat down, waiting for you to hook everything up. Once you did, you handed him the cord and as he was plugging it into his phone, you finally looked up and got a good look at him, honestly a bit surprised by what you saw.

"Cody?" you asked. He shot you a confused glance.

"Yes..." he replied, "Do we know each other?" Your eyes widened, realizing how creepy that must have sounded.

"No! Sorry!" you squeaked, "I'm a fan!"

"You are? Okay," he sighed again, "I feel a little less weird about this whole thing now."

"Same," you giggled, "Now I know you're not some crazy serial killer."

"Hey, I still could be," he grinned.

"What are you doing here?" you asked, "Isn't the band's show tonight in (a city 3 hours away from you lmao)?" When he nodded, you furrowed your eyebrows at him. "You know you're like, three hours away, right?"

"I am?" Cody groaned softly.

"What are you doing all the way out here?"

"There was traffic on the interstate," he frowned.

"Cody," you shook your head.

"I know!" he whined, "I know I shouldn't have gotten off, but I was lost and I thought if I found a McDonald's, I could use their wifi and get directions. But my phone died right as I got on the exit and I couldn't exactly go back, so I just kept driving and ended up getting even more lost and then my rental broke down and I've been stuck here for like, two and a half hours."

"You guys got a rental car?"

"I did," he replied softly, "I just wanted to drive around for a while and get away from everything."