Where We Began (Calum Hood)

merry christmas, ya filthy animals ;)
and happy saturday (or hanukkah!!!!) to those of u who do not celebrate christmas

~

Let's get one thing straight: You didn't hate the sweater. Maybe it was a little hard on the eyes, but bless your grandmother's heart, she made that thing with love.

Every year – every single year without fail – your grandmother knits you a sweater to wear for you and your mom's annual Christmas cards. You were never really bothered by it – you thought it was sweet of her to make them for you – but that was when you knew no one would ever really see you wearing it apart from the people your mom sent the cards to.

Until this year, of course. 

"Mom!" you whined loudly, "I can't wear this in public!"

"And why not?" she asked, making sure she had her wallet and keys. You waited for her to look at you before you deadpanned and motioned toward your body.

"Look at it," you stated, drawing her attention to the cartoon cat on your chest.

"Y/N, your grandmother worked very hard on that sweater," your mother reminded you, "And I think it would be nice of you to wear it for more than 10 minutes this year."

"And if we weren't about to go to the mall right now, I would be happy to wear it longer!"

"Oh, honey, don't be so dramatic," she laughed.

"Every Christmas, people ask me 'Y/N, when are you going to get a boyfriend?' and I don't know how dating back in the Stone Ages was, but guys are not going to want to date someone who publicly wears things like this," you informed her, pointing to the sweater again.

"At least it doesn't meow this year," she shrugged lightheartedly, clearly enjoying your misery.

"Mom!"

"Go put your shoes on, please," she said, "I want to get back home before dark."

"But I-"

"Now, Y/N," she shook her head. You groaned loudly, throwing your head back as you stomped down the hallway to put your shoes on.

~

At the mall, things were going pretty well. While people were definitely staring, no one had actually said anything to you – and you were thankful they made fun of you behind your back. But, because that's how your life works, it didn't stay that way for long.

"Nice sweater," you heard beside you.

"Fuck off, Calum," you mumbled, not even needing to look at him to know who it was.

"Oh, come on," he chuckled, "I've been gone for seven months and all I get is a 'fuck off'?" He came up behind you, wrapping his arms around you and leaning onto you with his chin on your shoulder. "Does it meow this year?" he asked, poking at the cat's nose, "Should I start calling you kitten instead?"

"Shut up!" you groaned, pushing him off of you and starting to walk away. Calum only grabbed your hand and brought you back to him, hugging you tightly.

"I've missed you, princess," he murmured into your hair. You finally sighed, wrapping your arms around him as well.

"I've missed you too, Cal," you whispered into his coat.

"Some way of showing it you have then," you heard his pout, "I've texted you asking to hang out since I've gotten home so many times, I lost count."