Life Jacket (Calum Hood)

it's almost summer somewhere
¯\_()_/¯

~

You were walking toward your cabin, wanting to make sure all of your campers were in the mess hall for dinner, when you saw one of them sitting on the steps. You thought it was a bit weird – you hadn't seen her when you left the cabin earlier – but you figured she just snuck by you.

As you got closer, you could hear her mumbling to herself with a frown on her face. You walked over to the huffing child, noticing a black Crayola marker in her hand, attempting to draw on the side of her arm.

"What are you doing, Mack?" you asked slowly, confused as to why she was drawing on herself. The brunette's head snapped up and she stared at you with wide eyes.

"I'll wash it off, honest!" she exclaimed, "I didn't-"

"Mack," you chuckled, plopping down on the step beside her, "You're not in trouble; I just wanted to know why you're drawing on yourself."

"Oh," she sighed in relief. She started chewing on her inner cheek, staring off in front of her.

You followed her gaze and noticed the 12-year-old boys' counselors, Calum, sitting at a picnic table across the lawn. You looked back down at her as she began speaking again.

"I want pictures like Cal has," she told you, "But I can't draw with my right hand." You laughed again, standing up.

"I'll be right back," you told the 10-year-old, hurrying inside the cabin. You came back out with a damp washcloth, dropping back down.

You took the marker from Mackenzie's hand and capped it, setting it on your lap before scrubbing the few markings she'd already made. She started to protest, but quickly silenced herself when you put the cloth down, picked the marker back up, and held her arm gently as you began drawing on her skin.

"What are you doing?" she asked, much like you had not even two minutes ago.

"I'm helping," you stated, concentrating on getting the lettering for Calum's 'ALIVE' tattoo just right.

"But adults are 'posed to tell you not to draw on yourself," she said.

"Most of 'em just say that because they don't enjoy fun things," you teased.

"But you're an adult."

"But I enjoy fun things," you said matter-of-factly, "That's why I spend all of my time with kids." Mackenzie giggled quietly as you moved up her arm to begin drawing on the bird.

You had spent enough time around Calum throughout your years as a camp counselor to know what all of his tattooed looked like without having to look at them, so you were done with Mackenzie by the time everyone was called to gather for dinner.

"Oh, wait!" you squeaked, "One more!" You had her put her leg on your lap and you quickly scribbled Calum's lesser-seen ankle tattoos onto her skin before letting her get up. "Okay, I'm done," you said proudly. The little girl looked at her arm in amazement, surprised at how your drawings seemed to mirror the real tattoos. "You wanna show him?" you asked. She nodded quickly and you both waited until he was about to pass the cabin before she ran up to him.

"Cal!" she squealed happily, "Cal, look!" She held her arm up as Calum looked down, his eyes widening.

"Wow, Mack!" he said, admiring her arms, "How'd you do that?"

"Y/N drew them!" she grinned, making him glance up at you. You instantly blushed, hoping it didn't show on your face too brightly.

"Well, I think they look amazing," he said, ruffling Mackenzie's hair, "You ready to eat?" She nodded rapidly, not even bothering to say bye before she ran toward the mess hall.