Strong (Calum Hood) - Part 2

Part 1 summary: Calum's a doctor, you're a nurse, Ethan's your patient, and you adopted him. Some other stuff happened too, but that's basically it.

for my tumblr anon who wanted a second part <3

~

Five weeks later

You and Calum walked into the adoption agency's building on Monday morning, beyond ready to bring Ethan home with you. You were practically cutting off the blood flow to Calum's hand with how tightly you were holding it, having no idea why you were so anxious.

"Babe," you heard Calum chuckle softly, making you look at him, "I know you're nervous, but I can't feel my hand anymore."

"S-Sorry," you whispered, quickly releasing your grip.

"What's gotten into you?" he asked, wrapping his arms around your shoulders and bringing you into a hug, "You've been wanting this for nearly a year now."

"I know," you sighed, laying your head on his shoulder, "But what if he's not happy with it? What if he's doing fine here and taking him home will just make things worse?"

"You know that's not going to happen, babe," Calum shook his head, "Ethan loves you more than anything and he's going to be thrilled that you wanted custody of him instead of him going with a family he may not get along with." You tilted your head up and stuck your bottom lip out slightly. Calum laughed again – knowing what you wanted – and pecked your lips.

"Alright, you two," your lawyer, Kellie, smiled at you as she walked over, shaking your hands, "You ready?" You eagerly nodded and she led you down the hall to the room Ethan and his current primary caretaker were waiting for you in. "Ethan," Kellie announced as she knocked on the already open door, "Ready to go?"

"Can I know who's adopting me now?" he sighed in frustration. Calum had asked them not to tell the teenager that it was you two who were taking him home, so ever since he'd heard he was approved for adoption last month, he's been trying to get them to break; They never did though.

"Come on in, guys," Kellie beamed, motioning for you and Calum to come into the room.

When you froze, Calum put his hands on your shoulders and walked you in. The moment Ethan saw you, the sigh he let out was almost comical.

"Oh, thank God," he said, rushing over to you and throwing his arms around your waist, "I thought it was gonna be some middle-aged lady who already had 7 kids and hated them or some creepy dude who liked kids a little too much." You couldn't help but laugh as you hugged him back.

"To be fair, I'm sure that man wouldn't have even made it through the background check," you teased, feeling him sigh again.

"You're really adopting me?" Ethan asked looking up and you and Calum.

"Mhmm," Calum hummed, "Which makes today either the best or the worst day of your life."

"I think the worst day is already taken," he said lightheartedly, making your smile falter a bit. He paused for a moment, furrowing his eyebrows. Before either of you could ask what he was thinking, he looked at you, "I don't have to call you guys Mom and Dad, right?" Everyone but you and Ethan laughed while you simply cocked an eyebrow.

"If you do, I'll be sending you right back here," you said seriously, but Ethan knew your humor well enough to know when you were kidding. He simply smiled at you, hugging you tightly again.

~

A few months passed – Ethan was now nearly 17-years-old and he couldn't be happier. He would still have seizures here and there – averaging out at about one every two or so months – but he felt lucky in having you and/or Calum around when they happened.