Coffeeshop Soundtrack (Luke Hemmings) - Part 1

yo other imagines, im happy for u and imma let u finish, but this is the cutest imagine ive written of all time. OF ALL TIME.

~

You worked in the coffee shop of a small record store in the heart of Sydney where most of your time was spent breathing in the scent of freshly brewed coffee and vinyl records. You were more often than not working from opening to closing, but you didn't mind. It was the only job you'd had that you actually enjoyed since your move to Australia five years ago. You met a lot of nice people and even became friends with a few of the regulars, but no one caught your attention more than the shy boy who had starting coming in with his three best friends on a regular basis a few months ago.

The blonde didn't speak much – you'd never seen his lips move once unless they were smiling at something one of his friends had said – and the boy with black hair always ordered his drink for him, but you didn't think too much of it; Some people were just better speaking with strangers than others were.

You were working a particularly slow morning – a few people coming in here and there, but none of them staying in the shop after receiving their drinks. You and your co-worker, Carter, were the only two working in the store that day. You were leaning back against the counter, not talking about anything of importance, when he looked behind you.

"Oh, looks like your boyfriends are here!" he announced as the four boys walked in, "I guess I'll go do literally anything else for a while!" You playfully shoved Carter's shoulder as he walked away and turned around.

"Hey, guys!" you said, giving them all a bright smile.

"Boyfriends?" the blue-haired boy pouted, "I thought you and I had something special, Y/N."

"Sorry, Mikey," you shrugged, "You're all just so tempting, I can't help myself." Michael rolled his eyes, a smile pulling at the corner of his mouth. "So, guys, the usual?" you asked, looking at all of them.

"Luke here-" the black-haired boy – Calum – said, throwing his arm around the blonde's shoulders, "-was thinking about trying something different today, but wasn't sure what. So what do you recommend?"

"Well, my personal favorite is the mint chocolate chip frap, but we do always have a drink of the day," you motioned to the board beside you. You noticed Luke had been eyeing your lips carefully, but when you were done speaking, he looked back to Calum, holding up his index finger.

"He'll try the mint chocolate chip frap," he smiled before Luke poked his shoulder. He held up his fist, his index finger on top of his thumb, and shook his hand side-to-side slightly. Calum looked back at you, "Do you guys have a bathroom here?"

"Yeah," you nodded, pointing behind them, "It's around the corner over there, to the right."

"Thank you!" he called over his shoulder as he led Luke to the back of the shop.

"What does that mean?" you asked the two boys still standing there curiously as you began making their drinks.

"What?" Ashton, the curly-haired one, returned.

"What Luke did with his hand there," you clarified.

"Oh, you mean this?" Michael asked, mimicking the motion the blonde had made. You nodded and he went on, "It's sign language for bathroom."

"Sign language?"

"Yeah," Ashton said, "I thought you knew already: Luke's deaf."

"Oh," you said slowly with another nod, understanding a bit more why Luke hadn't warmed up to you yet. It wasn't because he was weary of you; It was just because he couldn't hear you. "I always thought he never talked just because he didn't like me very much," you admitted shyly.