Little One (Ashton Irwin)

IT'S STILL ​CATELYN'S BIRTHDAY AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED. THE ASHTON AU PARTY AINT OVER YET, PEOPLE. 

~

"You're too high maintenance!" you shouted at Ashton, throwing your arms up, "You ask me to do something, I do it, you throw a fucking fit because it's not perfect, and you end up doing it yourself anyway! Nothing anyone ever does is good enough for you and it sure as shit isn't enough when it's me!"

"Well, if you would do it right the first goddamn time, we wouldn't be having this problem!" he shot back, causing you to roll your eyes.

"You know what, Ashton?" you growled, "I wouldn't be surprised if you were why your dad left."

You regretted it – God, you regretted it. You regretted it when the last word left your mouth, you regretted it even before the look of absolute anguish on Ashton's face, and you sure as hell regretted it when he turned around and retreated to the bedroom without another word.

You immediately started crying – Ashton trusted you to never hurt him, yet you did it in the worst way imaginable. If there were ever a time when you felt the shittiest in your life, even combining all of those experiences together wouldn't come close to comparing to how shitty you felt now.

~

Two weeks later

Ashton obviously hadn't spoken to you much since that night. He would nod or shake his head every once in a while to things you said or asked, but he was never verbal with you. He'd been sleeping at friends' places – really only coming home when the boys left their apartments – but that didn't mean you were sleeping in your bed.

Your bed was too harsh of a reminder how badly you hurt Ashton. Sure, the couch was uncomfortable and cold, but if you didn't have Ashton there holding you, what was the point?

When Ashton came home one morning and found you sleeping on the couch, he knew you felt terrible. Of course, he could tell whenever you spoke to him that you felt terrible for what you'd said. Your voice was always soft – never going above a whisper – making it hard for him to hear you at times.

He would never lie and say he didn't miss holding you and kissing you and sleeping beside you at night, but he still wasn't speaking to you. He wanted to hear you say you were sorry. And since saying sorry was something you'd always had trouble with, he knew it'd be a while before he heard those words.

All Ashton did when he saw you on the couch was walk over, pick up the blanket you'd kicked onto the floor in your sleep, and place it back over you. You unconsciously sighed and hugged one of the throw pillows closer to you. The pillow was supposed to be him – Ashton knew that for a fact. You would always hug him in your sleep, gravitating toward the warmth he was giving off.

And as much as a pillow just wasn't Ashton, it was enough for now.

~

You woke up one morning, immediately feeling sick. You threw the blanket Ashton had put back on you onto the floor and ran into the bathroom, barely making it to the toilet before you were throwing up.

You tried to be as quiet as possible – knowing Ashton was sleeping down the hall and not wanting him to wake up just to ignore you. You knew you should apologize, but you also knew that a simple 'sorry' wasn't going to cut it this time. You had to really show Ashton that you were sorry for what you said... Just maybe not right at this moment.