Back to You (Calum Hood) *

Trigger warning: Swearing, mental breakdowns, suggestion of attempted suicide

~

"Hey, baby girl," Calum said, confusion in his voice when he answered your call, "You okay? Isn't it like, 2:30 back home?"

"I can't fucking do it, Cal," you stated bitterly, not even bothering to correct him on the time being much later than he thought, "I'm dropping out of school and working in fast food for the rest of my life because I can't fucking do this anymore."

"Y/N, you know that's not true," he told you, "You just need to take a break from your books right now. Why don't you go take a bath to relax and just go to sleep? You'll feel better."

"No, I won't, Calum. When I wake up in the morning, this shit will still be on the desk and I'll still be too stupid to understand any of it and I'll fail the exam and-"

"Y/N," he cut you off, "You are the smartest person I know and I am not going to sit here and let you put yourself down like this. You are going to pass your exam and you're going to get the highest marks in the class – I know you are."

"Oh, whatever, Mr. dropped-out-of-school-to-form-a-world-famous-band-with-my-friends-and-tour-the-entire-fucking-planet," you snapped.

Calum let out a deep sigh, "What are you really upset about, baby girl?" You were silent for a moment before swallowing thickly.

"I want you to come home," your voice broke and you felt the tears start falling, "I want you to come back to me. I miss waking up next to you and falling asleep beside you and making breakfast with your arms around my waist and arguing with you over what movie to watch and what pizza to order on date night and everything stopped smelling like you 5 months ago and I just... I miss you."

"I miss you too, princess," he whispered, clearly trying not to get choked up himself, "I miss you so much, it fucking hurts. I want to help you relax and pull you away from your books when you're feeling like this. I want to be there and tell you how beautiful you look after you just wake up and I want to sing you all your favorite songs when you can't sleep. I want to be able to be home more or take you on tour with me because I hate when you do this to yourself, Y/N – you know I do. You know this is just as hard for me and I'm trying so hard to be strong for you and remember that I'll be home soon and I'll get to hug you and kiss you and touch you again. I'm always going to come back to you, baby girl, but you have to promise me you'll be there."

"I promise, Cal," you said in a barely audible voice, but he somehow still heard it.

"Please put your books away for the night, princess," he begged, "Just turn off the light, climb into bed, and go to sleep."

"But I have to study..."

"How about if you go to bed right now, I'll sing to you?" he offered.

"Vapor?" you asked quietly.

"Yeah, princess," you heard him smile slightly, "I'll sing Vapor for you. Just go brush your teeth and put your PJs on and let me know when you're ready." You did as exactly he asked, getting up and setting your phone on your nightstand.

After brushing your teeth, you peeled off everything but your underwear and slipped on one of Calum's shirts before climbing under your blanket.

"Cal?" you asked, making sure he was still there.

"You ready, princess?" he asked. You hummed in response, putting the call on speaker and setting your phone on the mattress beside the pillow.

Halfway through the song, you fell asleep. Despite the fact that Calum knew this when he heard your light snoring, he finished singing the rest anyway.