Change of Heart (Calum Hood)

based on a blurb i wrote one time that was gonna be maxx again but turned into calum bc an anon wanted it

~

Calum's POV

Calum strolled down the long hallway on his way to class, smiling coyly at anyone who made eye contact with him. He was a sixth-year Slytherin – though you didn't need to know him for two minutes without knowing he was a member of the house.

He was your stereotypical tough guy, he was the best on the Quidditch team, and he hated the idea of breathing the same air as muggle-borns. Maybe it was the way he was raised, but Calum had never been fond of those who weren't born magical – the thought of someone randomly discovering they were a wizard rubbed him the wrong way.

But all that seemed to change the day he met you.

He walked into his Potions class – half of his classmates were already there – and cocked an eyebrow the moment his eyes landed on the girl sitting in his seat. He marched over, ready to give her a piece of his mind – everyone else was watching with a mix of horror and excitement as they had no idea what he was going to do.

But nothing happened.

As he approached the girl, he noticed her struggling to tie her necktie to complete her uniform before class started. He couldn't tell you why, but he felt a pang of guilt in his chest, truthfully feeling bad for her.

He'd heard of this girl before – it seemed like the whole school was talking about the 17-year-old who only just recently found out she was a witch. She had already been sorted – Hufflepuff, Calum heard – and had been at Hogwarts for a couple days to get a tour and find out where her classes were. She hadn't met anyone yet – though she had heard about those with certain...reputations – so this was technically her first time meeting another student.

So instead of telling her off like he originally planned, he sat himself down on the desktop in front of her.

Your POV

You jumped at the sudden presence, your head snapping up. Your eyes met his and your breathing hitched – why was such a good-looking guy sitting on your desk?

It was silent for a moment – eerily silent, in your opinion – and you caught other students watching you and the boy with his gaze set on you. You turned your attention back to him, a bit of bashfulness at how he still hadn't stopped staring at you, until you finally couldn't take it anymore and had to say something.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" you asked him.

"Well, you are in my seat," he mentioned. Your eyes widened again.

"S-Sorry, I'm sorry," you rushed, starting to get up before you were stopped.

"Didn't say I was upset about it," Calum told you, putting his hands on your shoulders and gently pushing you back down. He then plopped down in the seat beside you, his eyes never leaving your face. "So," he said, his arm falling onto the back of your chair, resting against your upper back, "What's your name?"

"Y/N..." you replied cautiously. You didn't need to ask for his name – you already knew it.

The seventh year who had given you your tour of the school told you to be weary of him – not because he hated new kids, but because you were a muggle-born. You didn't understand why he didn't like people he'd never bothered to try to get to know, and you certainly didn't understand why the one muggle-born he did was apparently you.