Maybe Tonight (Luke Hemmings)

let's all pretend that 5sos was never a thing and luke is still making covers on youtube ok

~

"I think I'm gonna throw up," Luke mumbled, his hand squeezing yours.

"You're gonna kill it, Lu," you assured him, kissing his shoulder, "You always do."

"You're just saying that."

"Even if I were just saying it, it would still be true," you stated firmly.

"Luke Hemmings!" a producer called out, making your boyfriend's breathing hitch.

You stood up, pulling him with you. He grabbed the neck of his guitar and you both followed the woman to the stage.

"You'll be fine, Lu," you whispered, holding onto him tightly, "I'll be right there cheering for you like I always do." You saw the corner of his mouth twitch as he barely smiled, making you smile as well.

"Hello, sir!" Nick Cannon chirped once you reached him, "What's your name?"

"Luke," he answered shyly.

"And who have you brought with you?"

"My girlfriend," he grinned lightly, as he always did when someone mentioned you.

"Well, Luke, get out there and show them what you've got!" Nick said.

Luke glanced at you and you reached up, kissing his cheek and telling him you loved him. He took a deep breath, put his guitar on his shoulder, and walked out onstage.

"Hello!" Howie smiled, "What's your name? Where are you from?"

"I'm Luke Hemmings," he said as confidently as he could, "I'm originally from Sydney, Australia but am currently living in Los Angeles."

"What do you do for a living, Luke?"

"Well, right now, I work in a music store."

"And I'm assuming you'll be singing since you've got a guitar with you?" Heidi asked.

"Yes, I will," he smiled bashfully.

"And what will you be singing?" Simon asked.

"I, uh... Well, I'm actually going to be singing a song I wrote for my girlfriend." You furrowed your eyebrows as you stared at him, earning a curious look from Mel.

"Is that your girlfriend right there?" she asked, pointing to you. Luke simply nodded. "It looks to me like she didn't know what you were going to be performing today."

"I never even told her I wrote this," he replied nervously.

"Well, let's hear it!" she motioned for him to begin. Luke glanced at you before looking down and starting to play his guitar.

Take me back to the middle of nowhere
Back to the place only you and I shared
Remember all the memories
The fireflies and make-believe

Kicking back in the old school yard
Singing songs on our guitars
This is our reality
Crazy, stupid you and me

We know this is the way it's supposed to be

So we're taking the long way home
'Cause I don't wanna be wasting my time alone
I wanna get lost and drive forever with you
Talking about nothing, yeah, whatever, baby
So we're taking the long way home

Hitting every red light
Kissing at the stop signs, darling
Green Day's on the radio
And everything is alright
Now we're turning off the headlights, darling
We're just taking it slow

So we're taking the long way home
'Cause I don't wanna be wasting my time alone
I wanna get lost and drive forever with you
Talking about nothing, yeah, whatever, baby
So we're taking the long way home

Hitting every red light
Kissing at the stop signs, darling
Green Day's on the radio
And everything is alright
Now we're turning off the headlights, darling
We're just taking it slow

We're taking the long way home

As he finished playing his guitar and the audience cheered loudly, Luke looked over to you. You were in the middle of wiping your cheeks, but when you noticed him turn, you blew him a kiss. He smiled widely, knowing you liked the song, and turned back to the judges.

"Luke," Simon said, "I think that coming onto a stage like this and singing an original song can sometimes be very hit-or-miss." The blonde's heart started pounding, nervous to find out where the judge was going. "But I think – and it's clear that your girlfriend does as well – this was very much a hit," he nodded, "And I honestly don't think we need to hear from the other judges because..." He stood up and Luke's eyes widened.

You stood at the side of the stage, your hands covering your mouth as you waited for Simon to move. When he did, he leaned over in front of Heidi and slammed his hand down on the golden buzzer.

The whole audience screamed loudly as confetti flew all around Luke – and there was no doubt that both you and the boy onstage burst into tears. Luke looked over at you yet again and before anyone could even say anything, you were running out to him.

He was quick to move his guitar to rest on his back so your body could crash into his, both of you wrapping each other up in the tightest hugs you'd ever given.

"I'm so proud of you, Lu," you sobbed into his neck, feeling him smile through his tears.

"That was for you, princess," he told you, his voice shaky as he kissed your skin, "I did this for you."

~

Song used: "Long Way Home" by 5 Seconds of Summer (acoustic version linked above for obvious reasons)