Fireflies (Ashton Irwin)

ok so basically i was gonna post part 2 to love me again today but then somebody (pretendtobepunkrock on tumblr) decided to have another blurb night (not that i'm mad about it) and it's single dad!5sos and obviously i wanted in on that shit and that's what this is!!!!!

(lma will be updated wednesday though if you're waiting for that bc lord knows i'm not about to post two full imagines in one day ok i have a sanity to maintain)

~

You were in a small room illuminated by the fluorescent light bulbs in the ceiling. You just had your blood drawn – excited it was finally over, to be honest – and were making your way back out of the room when you saw the same little girl sitting in one of the seats that you'd seen earlier. She was still sitting there alone, and now that you were getting a good look at her, you couldn't deny that she was definitely scared.

"You look like you're getting your blood drawn today," you said to her, making her look up at you. She nodded shyly, her thumb stuffed in her mouth as a form of comforting herself. "Are you nervous?" She nodded again. "You wanna know what it feels like so you're ready?" Another nod.

You sat down cross-legged in front of her chair so she didn't have to look up at you and could relax her neck instead.

"Have you ever been pinched before?" She shook her head. "Can I show you what it feels like?" She nodded. You carefully pinched her leg, surprised when you earned a small giggle from her. You smiled at her and continued talking. "The nurse in that room-" You pointed back to the room you had just come out of. "-is going to tell you to make a fist, she's gonna poke your arm right here-" You then held your own arm up and showed her your bandaid. "-and she's gonna make that pinching feeling happen on your arm. And this might be just a rumor-" You looked around as if you had a big secret to tell her that no one else could know about. "-but I heard that if you're really brave, she'll give you a sucker." You could see her eyes light up at the comment just as the nurse came out of the room.

"Emmi Irwin," she said, smiling at you, obviously having heard what you were saying to the little girl, "Is Daddy back yet? Do you want to wait for him?" The little girl's eyes widened at the sound of her name as she looked at you.

"If you don't want to wait anymore, I'll go with you," you offered.

Emmi nodded and scooted off of the chair, walking close beside you as the nurse led her into the room. She climbed up onto the chair in that room, sitting as close to you as she possibly could. You bent down so you were resting on your knees, but still standing so you were eye-level with her.

The nurse moved a small cushioned arm in front of her – much like the one already on the chair – and asked her to put her arm on it. With her thumb still in her mouth, she did as the nurse asked, slowly lifting her opposite arm up and placing her elbow on the cushion. Exactly like you'd told her, the nurse had her ball up her fist, poked her arm, and then cleaned it with an alcohol wipe.

"Do you want me to count down, Emmi?" she asked her. The child nodded and looked back at you.

"This part is the hardest, but it's not that hard, I promise," you assured her, putting your hand on her knee and rubbing it with your thumb. "You remember what I told you it feels like, right?"

"A pinch," she finally spoke, her voice so quiet, you barely heard it.

It was at this point that you heard someone walk into the room, but you didn't take your eyes off of the girl in front of you, worried she would start to panic if you did. You saw them out of the corner of your eye though – a tall man with messy, light brown hair and glasses – looking with what almost seemed like awe at you and the girl on the chair.