The Last Dance (Marshall Traver) - Part 2

Upon entering the room, it seemed like everyone immediately looked over. Your heart felt like it was going to come right out of your chest.

Marshall, of course, could sense your discomfort, pulling you closer to him and rubbing the back of your hand with his thumb. He felt you relax – if only a little – and smiled as he approached his parents.

"Mom, Dad," he said, "This is Princess Y/N of..." He trailed off, realizing he didn't even know where you were from. Luckily, his mother already seemed to know.

"Well, don't you look beautiful?" the Queen gushed, making your face turn a light shade of red. "You're Queen Lillian's granddaughter, right?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," you replied softly.

"My, that woman could go on about you for hours if she had the time," she laughed, shaking her head, "But, unfortunately for her, our monthly meetings over tea don't last that long."

"Marshall," the King suddenly said, "Why don't you and I go talk with King Jacob while the Princess and your mother get acquainted?"

Marshall looked at you, seemingly worried about leaving you alone, but you just shrugged, letting go of his hand and gently nudging him toward his father. He nodded as he walked away, leaving you to watch him until his mother spoke up again.

"Why don't you have a seat, Y/N?" she suggested, patting the chair beside her. You shyly did so, smoothing out the back of your dress before sitting down. "How are you enjoying the party so far?"

"It's nice," you said, looking around at all the people, "Different than any other party I've been to – that's for sure." The Queen couldn't help but laugh at the comment.

"Your grandmother told me about how you've been thrown into this whole thing. Well, if you ever need anything while you're here, don't hesitate to find my husband or I – or even my son, as it seems he's taken quite the interest in you."

"I-I don't... He's not... He's not interested in me..." you stuttered out.

"Well, the way he was looking at you earlier certainly fooled me," she grinned. You couldn't help the blush from rising to your cheeks yet again, but you hoped it wasn't too noticeable as you looked over and saw the King and Marshall returning.

"Come on, dear," the King said, holding his hand down to his wife, "It's almost time for the last dance and you've not moved from that spot yet."

"I wasn't planning on it either," she said coyly, making him chuckle. He reached down and took her hand himself, pulling her to her feet.

"You promised me at least one dance tonight and your time is up," he kissed her forehead, leading her out to the dance floor. You looked at Marshall, a knowing expression on your face that made him shrug.

"Hey, I had to have gotten it from somewhere," he smiled, holding his hands out to you.

Unlike the Queen, however, you took his hands immediately, letting him take you to the dance floor as well. You were both near the edge – not really wanting to be the center of attention.

"What if I mess up?" you asked nervously.

Marshall turned to face you, bringing one of your hands to his shoulder and holding the other one up to his chest while his arm went around your waist. He held onto you tightly as you both began swaying to the music.

"As long as you don't mind that there might be a possibility I step on your feet at least once, then I don't think I have room to judge, do you?" he replied. You barely smiled, sliding your hand to the back of his neck so you could toy with his hair.