In My Head (Luke Hemmings) - Part 1 *

an au in which you can hear your soulmates thoughts, but not until you turn 18 – and that's proving to be a huge problem for luke

Warnings: Mention of suicidal thoughts and self-harming

~

The morning Luke woke up on his 18th birthday, he began hearing something in his head. It wasn't his own thoughts like it had been for the past 18 years – the new voice sounded completely different than his own. Luke wasn't surprised though; His parents explained to him not too long ago that this would happen – that he would wake up and suddenly hear another person's – his soulmate – thoughts.

After turning 18, Luke would always send his soulmate good morning or goodnight thoughts in his head, never knowing if they were actually being received. He assumed they weren't because he never heard anything back, but maybe – just maybe – his soulmate was ignoring him. He pushed that idea out of his mind though, having a little faith that his soulmate just hadn't come of age yet. So he continued to just patiently wait for her.

Up until he was coming up on his 21st birthday, Luke didn't sense anything truly wrong with his soulmate. Of course, he would hear the occasional belittlement of herself when she received a bad grade in school or the self-deprecating remarks that simply came with growing up when she looked in a mirror. But when he started hearing her tell herself she 'would be better off dead', he started taking serious notice.

The first time it happened – the first time his soulmate thought it – he ran to his mother for advice. There wasn't much she could do, obviously, but she told him to hold out hope and continue trying to think back to her – she had to turn 18 eventually, right? Well, to be quite honest, with the direction her thoughts were going, he wasn't so sure she'd make it to 18.

One evening, Luke came home from work. It was a normal day – he woke up, went to work until 3, and came home – but it didn't feel normal. He couldn't pinpoint why, but he just knew in his gut that something was wrong with his soulmate.

Aside from the fact that he hadn't heard from her all day, when he did, he would only hear the consistent chant of 'I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry'. He didn't know what it meant, but he knew it wasn't good. Later that night, he would hear a slew of curse words followed by an eerie, calm silence, and then it would repeat until he fell asleep.

And it went on like that for the next few weeks. Until one day...

It was almost 2pm and Luke was lounging around his apartment, not really knowing what to do. He had the day off of work and while most people would find it relaxing, Luke was just stressed out.

He hadn't heard anything from his soulmate in the last couple days and it was really starting to worry him. He didn't know what was wrong, but it wasn't unusual not to hear from her during this time because she was usually sleeping – he figured she just had a really fucked up sleeping schedule. But he hadn't heard anything on her end in the last three days which was incredibly unusual.

But the moment the clock hit 2, everything changed.

Hello?

Luke froze for a moment, not really sure if he heard that right.

I guess you're not 18 yet then, your voice sighed inside his head.

He couldn't help the smile on his face as he sat up in his seat. This was it; He would finally be able to talk to you.

I've been saying the same thing for the last 3 years, Luke thought back to you.

You can hear me?, you replied.