The Last Dance (Marshall Traver) - Part 5

Your POV; Ten hours later

You had gotten home a few hours ago, not really taking the time to truly think about the trip until you were back in your own room. You found yourself sitting on the window seat, staring out at the passing clouds, birds, and occasional airplanes.

You couldn't believe Marshall would do that to you – especially since he really had nothing to gain. He was still going to marry Naomi, so why did he have to drag you into it? He could have just ignored you – maybe he was ticked about an arranged marriage, but so what? He could have chosen a girl who actually lived in the kingdom – he didn't have to go with someone who was only staying for a couple months.

But maybe that was why he picked you.

Maybe he saw how you weren't interacting with the other Princesses – especially not his soon-to-be wife – and decided that you were the perfect target.

Screwing around with someone who lived nowhere near his kingdom was perfect; He wouldn't have to risk ever seeing you around, he would never have to call you because – let's be real – you certainly weren't going to go on another four hour plane ride just to see what the hell was up, and you would be none the wiser.

In the midst of your internal monologue, you heard your bedroom door open. You looked over as your ladies maid came in with your suitcase. She seemed a bit startled to see you.

"I'm so sorry, Princess," Scarlet quickly curtsied, "I was told you were taking a nap. I'll just come back later." She went to leave, but you stopped her.

"It's okay, Scar," you murmured, "Some company would be nice anyway."

"May I ask what's wrong then?" she replied, lifting your suitcase onto the chest at the end of your bed so she could begin putting your clothes away.

"It's nothing – just thinking about how much I miss home."

"You know, Princess, as your ladies maid, I'm not really allowed to talk back to you," Scarlet said thoughtfully, "But you and I are also friends, so as your friend, it's my duty to call you out on your bullshit." You couldn't help but smile slightly, happy not everyone in the castle treated you as if you were something fragile.

"Don't know why I ever try to lie to you," you whispered.

"Yet you keep doing it," she sighed dramatically, briefly stopping her work to look at you, "Seriously though: what's wrong?"

"I thought someone liked me..." you shrugged, "But he just ended up using me instead."

"Guys do that sometimes," she nodded.

"I know, but... Why do they have to be so convincing?"

"That's how they reel you in," she shook her head solemnly, "If they're not convincing, you're not gonna take the bait."

"I just want something to be real... I don't want to keep meeting guys who only pretend to want me just because I'm a princess... At least no one back home acted like they cared about me..."

"Maybe you should take a break from guys for a while then," she suggested, "Go out to new cities where no one knows your name."

"I would if I didn't have Princess lessons all the time," you finally genuinely laughed.

"I'd rather take Princess lessons than scrub dirty floors all day," she smiled, happy she could lift your mood.

"Wanna switch places – Parent Trap style?"