Diamond Girl (Maxx Danziger) - Part 2

Maxx's POV

It hadn't been long since the silence started, but the thing about you and Maxx was that you didn't have to be talking to enjoy spending time together. He could ask to come over just to take a nap and you wouldn't even hesitate to tell him your door would be unlocked for him.

Maxx could sense that something was on your mind though, but he didn't say anything; He knew you'd talk about it when you were ready.

He just didn't expect you to say what you did.

"What did I do wrong?" you whispered, more to yourself than to Maxx. He simply smiled sadly, his lips hitting your forehead once again.

"You didn't do anything wrong," he mumbled into your skin, squeezing you gently.

"I obviously did something," your voice cracked, "He wouldn't have cheated if I was good enough for him..."

"You are good enough, Y/N," he said firmly, "You're too good for anyone, to be honest. What Cody did was disgusting and all the fault is on him, not you."

"But if I just gone on tour with yo-"

At that point, Maxx finally had enough. It hurt to know that you still weren't over what happened, but to know that you blamed yourself for it was even worse. He couldn't think of a single scenario in which Cody wouldn't have cheated – whether you'd been with them or not.

So he repositioned himself slightly, grabbed your cheek, and forced you to look at him.

"There is nothing wrong with you," Maxx stated lowly and sternly so you knew he was being serious with you, "You are beautiful and amazing and talented and so beautiful and if Cody or anyone else is too stupid to appreciate that, then that's their problem. The only thing wrong with you is that you were too nice to Cody when you dumped him. If you're still hurt over it and you want to cry, I will be here for as long as you need. But I will not sit around and listen to you blame yourself." You looked at him for a moment before speaking – although, what you had to say was the least bit important.

"You said 'beautiful' twice," you whispered. Maxx chuckled lowly, his thumb barely stroking your cheekbone.

"I know what I said," he returned just as quietly.

If there was ever a time in the two years Maxx had known you that he had to force himself not to just grab you and kiss you right then and there, this was it. Your faces were so close together at this point that you could feel the other's breath on your lips. He didn't know what was going through your head – and maybe he just imagined it, but he swore he saw you glance down at his lips.

And he was going to ask you about it – if you hadn't been interrupted by a knock on your front door.

Maxx's hand fell from your face when you perked up, propping yourself up on your elbow. You weren't expecting any visitors – especially since Maxx was already there – so you had no idea who was at your door. And you definitely weren't expecting the voice you heard next.

"Y/N!" Cody knocked again with a sigh, "Come on! I know you're home!" Maxx instantly sat up with you, anger bubbling up inside him at the sheer audacity your ex-boyfriend had to come to your apartment.

Another knock was followed by another sigh and you heard what sounded an awful lot like Cody feeling around the top of your door frame for your spare key.

Your eyes widened and your head snapped over to Maxx.

"Did you bring my key when you came in?" you whispered as if Cody was going to hear you.