Almost Ordinary (Cody Carson) - Part 3

people really like this series i guess lol

~

Two weeks later

It had been a couple weeks now since Cody confronted you after lunch. You'd been thinking a lot about it – beginning to feel a little bad about the way you'd been acting around him.

But apologizing for something as serious as this? That wasn't exactly something you were good at. But you knew you had to do it.

And you were going to...

But after you'd finally worked up the courage to go up to him, someone else beat you to it.

You'd pep-talked yourself up all morning, telling yourself that as soon as you got to school, you'd go to Cody's locker and apologize to him. But just as you were approaching him, you watched one of the most popular girls in the school, Jasmine Richardson, walk over and turn around so her back was leaning up against the locker next to his. You listened to her ask him to the winter formal and while you couldn't hear his response, you knew he was going to say yes – everyone said yes to Jasmine Richardson.

"Hey, Y/N!" you heard Sam chirp as she skipped over to you, surprised you didn't meet her at your locker before you two headed to the cafeteria for breakfast like you did every morning. Your head snapped over, not even noticing that Cody's head did as well the moment he heard your name. "You ready to eat?" she asked. But when she finally took a good look at you, she knew something was wrong. "Are you okay?" she asked frantically, putting her hands on your shoulders, "Why are you crying? What happened?"

But you didn't verbally answer her.

All you did was swallow the lump in your throat, shake your head, and walk in the direction of the cafeteria.

Sam watched you for a moment before looking around, trying to figure out what could have made you start crying in the middle of the hallway. It was then that her eyes met Cody's, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. She then spotted Jasmine – who had been glaring in your direction since the moment Cody looked over – and she rolled her eyes, knowing what was going on. She turned around and quickly followed you, wanting to make sure you were okay.

Sam didn't find you right away, so she decided to go through the lunch line so she could at least eat breakfast while she continued her search. But the moment she came out into the cafeteria, she found you.

You were sitting at your regular lunch table, timidly eating the Poptart in front of you. You were clearly spaced out – not paying attention to anything going on around you – as she walked over and sat down across from you.

"You wanna tell me what's wrong?" Sam asked you, earning herself a shrug. "Well, how about I guess then?" she suggested, "I know it had something to do with Cody and Jasmine talking at his locker because you never go down that hallway. So I'm guessing you were going to apologize to him?" You barely nodded, breaking off a piece of your Poptart and putting it in your mouth. "What happened during that time that made you not apologize then?"

"She asked him to the dance," you whispered after you swallowed your food.

"Why would that make you start crying? I thought you weren't going," she shook her head. You shrugged again, finishing off your Poptart. "Were you going to ask him to go with you?" her eyes widened a bit. You just shrugged for a third time, crumpling your wrapper as you stood up.

"Doesn't matter anymore," you mumbled, walking to the trashcan and then leaving Sam in the cafeteria.

You made your way to Mr. Karzen's room, mentally preparing yourself for the class period ahead of you. He wasn't in the room when you walked in, so you just sat at your desk, patiently waiting for class to start despite the fact that there were nearly 20 minutes until the bell rang. You were sitting with your cheek in your palm and your elbow on the desktop, reading the book you'd brought with you to school that day.

"Good morning, Y/N," Mr. Karzen said as he walked into his classroom, the surprise in his voice very evident, "You're in here awfully early. Everything okay?" You shrugged, not looking up from your book.

You listened to your teacher sigh, putting his things down on his desk. With his coffee cup in his hand, he walked to the row of desks in front of yours, pulling out a chair and sitting right in front of your desk.

"You wanna talk about it?" he asked you.

"Talk about what?" you asked, your voice barely even coming out.

"Whatever's bothering you."

"Nothing's bothering me."

"You and I both know that's not true, Y/N," he said firmly, but gently at the same time, "If you don't want to talk about it, I won't make you, but just remember that I'm always here if you need someone." You were silent for a moment before looking up at him.

"How do you say you're sorry when it's really hard for you to do?" you asked softly. He sat in thought, wanting to give you the best advice he could.

"I think you just have to say it," he told you, "Apologizing is never easy, but the sooner you do it, the sooner you'll feel better."

"Thank you," you nodded slightly, making him smile.

"You're a good kid, Y/N," he reminded you, "You'll know exactly how to apologize when the time comes." He got up, going to his desk to sort out his papers for the day.

~

Throughout class, you felt Cody and Sam glance at you every once in a while. And although you were beginning to feel uncomfortable, your face showed no sign that you even noticed; You just remained silent the whole class period.

Mr. Karzen luckily understood that you didn't really want to participate in class discussions that day, so whenever he called on you, he would only ask yes or no questions so you only had to either nod or shake your head. And that was something you would always be grateful for him for.

By the time class ended, you honestly felt like you were going to be sick. While Sam knew what was up with you, she was still concerned as to why you were so quiet – sure, you had days where you wanted to interact with other people as little as possible, but you were never this quiet. And it definitely didn't help that you were pretty sure Cody hadn't looked at anything but you the entire period and, to be honest, that fact alone made you want to start crying again.

But you made it; You made it through the class without so much as hinting that you were on the verge of tears. And when the bell rang to signal class being over, you breathed an abrupt sigh of relief, causing the two people next to you to look at you in confusion.

"Hey, Y/N, are you-" Sam cut herself off when you immediately got up from your seat, grabbed your books, and left the room. "-okay?" she sighed softly as she finished her question, her gaze flicking over to Cody as he eyeballed her curiously. She simply shrugged, gathering up her own things and heading out of the room with everyone else.

~

why??? you may ask.

well. why not.